Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

2014 Sundeck Sport 202OB Deck drainage

ralphhwalker
ralphhwalker Member Posts: 6

Guys,

Washed my boat for the first time this weekend and noticed that the deck was not draining much through the drainage holes behind the captain's chair. Boat was sitting a little out of level on the lift so the water was sitting more on the starboard side behind the captain's chair. This got me really worried. Not knowing that the deck does not drain into the bilge area, I tried turning the bilge pump on and nothing happened. After figuring that the deck drains out the side of the boat I removed the cup holder behind the captain’s chair and this is when I noticed a potential installation issue with my brand new boat.

What I noticed through the cup holder hole, was that the drain holes at the back of deck were connected to a flexible hose that is connected to an exit hole out the side of the boat. But what was alarming was that the hose looped UP about 4 inches before it looped down to the exit hole. My limited plumbing knowledge told me this was not correct as it created an inverted trap, in other words the water would only start draining once it reached 4” on the deck. I then pushed the hose down so that it was lower than the deck and the deck then drained. To make this fix permanent I had to unscrew the hose clamp, twist it so that it stayed below the deck and re-tighten the hose clamp. This was very difficult to do through a cap holder hole (would have been easy if I had smaller forearms).

My question are:

• Was the hose installed incorrectly?
  • Did I create any issues by making the hose always slope downwards?

Thanks.

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Really difficult to say without seeing pictures but your description tells me that what you've done is correct.  I don't think you've created any issues.  It now dumps all the deck water directly into the bilge where the bilge pump can correctly dispose of it

And can't for the life of me think of why there would be a 4" loop.  Mine certainly has nothing of the sort in that hose.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • ralphhwalker
    ralphhwalker Member Posts: 6
    It does not dump into the bilge area, but out the side of the boat. Unfortunately I could not get a good photo through the cup holder hole but I have attached a crude drawing to illustrate what was happening.
    All I did to fix this was to unscrew the hose clamp, twist the flexible hose on the drain connector so that it was sloping down then tightened the hose clamp.
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    As the opening is lower than the water line water can come back into that line but other end is above the water line so no concerns there in my opinion.  I suspect the hose was simply twisted upwards.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • captdiver
    captdiver Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    I have a 2003 GS 201 Fun Deck, and I cannot get all the water out of my ski locker. I bought the boat used, and when you step into the ski locker, more water bubbles up from the drain holes that someone drilled in the bottom. Where is the water that is below the ski locker getting trapped? Anyone have any ideas how to get rid of it?