Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Boat in the water, few questions

Options
tackhouse1
tackhouse1 Member Posts: 13
edited May 2014 in General Discussions
After buying a 2006 Hurricane Fundeck 218 (150hp Honda outboard) last fall, I finally got it in the water for the first time yesterday.  Overall its running well, but I had a few questions. 

The Volt gauge isn't working, any thoughts on what to check with it?  (Battery is working fine, turns over the engine no problem)
 The Throttle lever is a little loose, so when you push it to full throttle and take your hand off the lever it will slowly fall back (slowing the boat), is there a way to tighten it? 

Top speed on the boat (with two passengers) seems to be around 37mph.  I had been hoping that it might get into the low 40's.  Does the seem right?  Is there anything I could do to get a few more mph out of it?

Anyone know where to get additional keys cut?  I talked to my local Hurricane dealer and he said the key was not a Honda key, but a Hurricane key.  He claimed to not be able to order new copies/blank keys and suggest I replace the ignition (which seems like over kill to me?)  Trying to figure out if I need to talk to Hurricane or Honda. 

One last question, my boat came wired with 2 speakers (under the rear bench seats by the drivers seat) and a cd player.  Looking online it appears the 4 speakers was an option (two additional speakers under the front benches).  Has anyone had luck adding two front speakers to their boat? I know the CD player amplifier has 4 channels, just wondering how hard it would be to run the speaker wires. 

Thanks!

Nick 

Comments

• tackhouse1
    edited May 2014
    Options
    trying to post a picture
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have comments on a couple of items.

Usually the ignition switch is supplied by the engine manufacturer (along with the throttle controls).  If you have something different, then the dealer might be giving you good information regarding the keys.

I found a page in a Honda Owners Manual that addresses throttle friction adjustment.  They list a few controls systems, maybe one is similar to yours.

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• omar174
    omar174 Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    Options
    After buying a 2006 Hurricane Fundeck 218 (150hp Honda outboard) last fall, I finally got it in the water for the first time yesterday.  Overall its running well, but I had a few questions. 

The Volt gauge isn't working, any thoughts on what to check with it?  (Battery is working fine, turns over the engine no problem)
     The Throttle lever is a little loose, so when you push it to full throttle and take your hand off the lever it will slowly fall back (slowing the boat), is there a way to tighten it? 

Top speed on the boat (with two passengers) seems to be around 37mph.  I had been hoping that it might get into the low 40's.  Does the seem right?  Is there anything I could do to get a few more mph out of it?

Anyone know where to get additional keys cut?  I talked to my local Hurricane dealer and he said the key was not a Honda key, but a Hurricane key.  He claimed to not be able to order new copies/blank keys and suggest I replace the ignition (which seems like over kill to me?)  Trying to figure out if I need to talk to Hurricane or Honda. 

One last question, my boat came wired with 2 speakers (under the rear bench seats by the drivers seat) and a cd player.  Looking online it appears the 4 speakers was an option (two additional speakers under the front benches).  Has anyone had luck adding two front speakers to their boat? I know the CD player amplifier has 4 channels, just wondering how hard it would be to run the speaker wires. 

Thanks!

Nick 
    For top speed..what is the max RPM your engine is reaching? What is the max RPM the engine is capable of? If you are well below the capable #, you need to look in to a lower pitch propeller. This should increase your RPM and give you a couple of MPHs. 

For the speakers...my old Fundeck did not have the speakers installed in the front. But the cabling was there. Check behind the front seats. to see if the cable if there. If so, all you'll have to do is cut out holes and install the speakers. Harbor Freight sells a cheap set of hole saws that should work great. I actually bought these to cut out holes in my FunDeck but I never got around to doing it because I sold it. I do plan to use them on my new boat (Sundeck Sport 201).  

Hope that helps!
    2003 GS211 Yamaha 150 HP OX66
  • tackhouse1
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Thanks guys! I will check the max RPM the engine is reaching (I think it's around 5500rpm) and red line is 6000rpm.

One more question, I feel like the captains chair is a little too low.  Has anyone installed a taller pole beneath it (I'd like something 3-4" taller)?  Is it a standard part? Or do I need to order something special from Hurricane? 
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I believe Veada is the seat manufacturer that Hurricane uses.  To the best of my knowledge, Hurricane doesn't offer an option on the pedestal, but Veada might.

Here's a link to their website.  You might want to contact them and ask the question:

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• omar174
    edited May 2014
    Options

• omar174
    Options
    Have you considered a helm seat with a flip up bolster?
    Thanks guys! I will check the max RPM the engine is reaching (I think it's around 5500rpm) and red line is 6000rpm.

One more question, I feel like the captains chair is a little too low.  Has anyone installed a taller pole beneath it (I'd like something 3-4" taller)?  Is it a standard part? Or do I need to order something special from Hurricane? 

• tackhouse1
    Options
    Just wanted to provide an update.  I found the speaker wires under the front seats, thanks for telling my about it!

I also was able to tighten the throttle so it holds speed now. 

A question on the lower pitch prop, would I be trading off on anything to achieve that higher speed? (like lower end power?)

Any one else have knowledge on the gauges?  My Volt and Tilt/trim are not working, and my RPM guage sometimes works, and some times reads how (like shows the engine is idling at 2-3k rpm, though the engine is idling normally below a 1000rpm. 

Wondering if I should try to take the dash apart? Has anyone taken the gauges out?
  • omar174
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Gauges go bad ALL the time. It's almost like they are wear and tear item! You do not need to take the dash apart to take them out. Look under the helm, there should a few bolts you take off and the gauge will come off. Make sure you take a pic where all the wires go. The pic below gives you a good idea how it works.

For the prop, do yourself a favor and use the Mercury Prop selector. Very useful.