Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Fish Finder Wiring on the front of the boat

Options
I have a Hurricane SD237I/0 with a 24 volt trolling motor mounted to the front. I would like to install a fish finder up there as well with a transducer mounted to the bottom of the trolling motor. I'm debating the best way to get power up to the unit. I have considered running a wire from the starting battery up to the unit but then I have to deal with fishing the wire up through the hidden parts of the boat. I have also thought about running the wire from the drivers console area. I am looking for any advice or guidance. Thanks

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Running a wire along the inside isn't as bad as you think using a metal fish tape.  You can do either as you've suggested, but it may be just as simple to run a line from the battery with the right gauge wire and inline fuse to power it up front.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • MichelBee
    MichelBee Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    Options

I have no idea if this can be done.  so this is propably as much for my own knowledge. 

Your trolling motor batteries are connected in series giving you 24 volts.  If you connect your new fishfinder to one and only one of the 2 batteries wouldn't you get 12 volts only?

If that is the case then you might avoid the starting battery.  I'm always worried about bringing down the starting battery by running electronics for long periods with the engine off.

• silvapv1720
    silvapv1720 Member Posts: 7
    Options

I've read a lot on the topic and the feedback is to stay away from the trolling motor batteries and use the starting battery. There is an Acc switch on the dash and I'm wondering if I can get power from it.

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My ACC switch has my Structure Scan module connected to it so I don't have it on when I don't really need it and put my GPS/Fishfinder/Chart Plotter on the ignition since it has it's own on/off switch.  It works great for that purpose.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer