Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

GEAR OIL CHANGE ISSUE

Options
BWH
BWH Member Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

2006 Suzuki DF 150.  Drained gear oil per service manual.  Refilled through oil drain hole in the bottom until oil started coming from air vent hole per service manual.  Next step was to remove oil level plug to ensure oil was at correct level.  PROBLEM, I can not get the oil level screw to turn.  The screw is a standard slotted type and is starting to "strip".  Slot is about 1/2 inch long and screw "appears" to be brass.  I stopped before destroying the screw completely.  Sprayed area with WD-40 several times and allowed time for it to work.  NO luck.  Any suggestions on how to remove the screw?

BTW; I have noticed some motors only have the 2 holes and do not include an oil level plug.  2006 Suzuki DF 150 has three holes.  Is this just a manufactures preference or why the difference? 

Comments

• Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    Options
    There is no oil check plug on most engines.  On my Yamaha you just fill as you did until oil overflows the top plug and you are done.  I'd say leave the check plug alone and consider it full.
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • BWH
    BWH Member Posts: 113 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks Ernest T.  That seems to be what most folks are suggesting, but just drives me nuts that I have the ability to check the gear oil level, but can not do so.  Wishing now that the Suzuki only had two holes.   Put a different brand of "break free" type product on it yesterday and will probably attempt to loosen it myself one more time.  Considering leaving it as is until the next time it requires professional maintenance/repair and then have them remove the screw and thusly assuming responsibility if something goes wrong. 
  • Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    Options
    If you really need to get it out, I've had good luck with PB blaster.  Spray it on and let is sit for a while.  You may need to drill the top of the plug and use an EZ out to unscrew it if its stripped.
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • donmat
    donmat Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    Options
    You can try using the biggest screwdriver you can get in the screw head slot and have someone hold it tight against the screw. Place a wrench on the flat area of the screwdriver and try to turn it that way. The extra torque may break it loose. I had to do this on a drain screw one time to loosen it.