Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Trim tabs installed in 187 I/O

NEboater28
NEboater28 Member Posts: 14
I recently installed smart tabs in my hurricane 187 I/O. I got the 60lb actuator per the recommendation of the nauticus rep. I did a test run today. I lost about 4mph off my top end. My hole shot was not noticeably quicker. The only benefit was maintaining about 3 mph slower than before. Are these the expected results? I have seem a bunch of these put on outboard applications. Anyone have experience with these on an I/O setup? I know the hurricane is a heavy boat so I'm not sure if I should have a larger actuator or need to make adjustments to help the hole shot and bring back my top end?? Any thoughts?

Comments

• usnff1068
    usnff1068 Member Posts: 4
    Not sure , but I'm installing the 80 model on my 2003 fundeck this morning. I'll let u know.
  • Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    If your loosing speed you don't have the actuator set properly.  Take a look at the instructions to see how to adjust the setting in the brackets.

I think the 60 lb. system would be correct for your boat.  I'm using the same on my 217 and its a slightly larger boat.  I'm pretty sure that Nauticus will send you a set of 80 lb. actuators at no cost if you wanted to try them.

I haven't seen enough applications on inboards to know if there is a difference in results.  You have about an extra 4-500 lbs. of weight with the IO versus an OB, so I'd guess that there would be a handling difference.  

On my boat I have the Protroller brackets, so I can disengage the tabs.  The difference is night and day with and without the tabs engaged.
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • NEboater28
    NEboater28 Member Posts: 14
    Thanks Ernest. I called and I got a prompt response from the nauticus rep. He suggested I move the position of the tab to the highest setting (least angled into the water), so there's less drag. I guess this may be effecting both my speed and hole-shot... Makes sense. He also suggested I remove the 4 blade prop I have and put back the stock 3 blade prop for maximum benefits from the tabs. It seems counterintuitive, but he's the expert. I'm not really sure how that would work. I guess my top end would bump back up, but I don't want to loose the hole shot. I guess I'll give it a try.
  • Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    My boat also came with a 3 blade SS prop.  I later added a 4 blade prop and tried both the 3 and 4 blade props with and without the tabs.  The tabs made the biggest difference in hole shot and in lowering the planning speed rather than the type of prop.  

For water sports I like the 4 blade prop in combination with the tabs, but the difference is only slightly better than the tabs plus the 3 blade prop.  I can tell you that finding the right prop can be a crap shoot.  You can use all the calculators, etc., but unless someone else has tried the exact same prop on the exact same model boat, then you really can't count on the results until you try it yourself.

Good luck!
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner