Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

fd226re4 jackplate update

skibum
skibum Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
edited May 2014 in General Discussions
Ok here we go, got the jack plate installed. I had the motor (yamaha vf200 sho) installed on the #2 holes. Jack plate all the way down, which puts motor higher than on transom in same holes. It drives like a dream now, no torque steer and best of all no more hard steering coming back to center after a hard right turn.

Ok now numbers:
With motor mounted directly to transom turning a solas 14.25 × 17 4 blade prop, motor on #2 holes. Rpm 4600 wot, speed 53.9 gps, little bit of bow lift but not much.

With jack plate rpm 5900, speed 50.9 gps but it feels like the stern is lifting too much, and,the bow not enough lift.

Seriously considering a 14.5× 18 or 19 mercury tempest prop for bow lift and a little more speed.

I have plugged in the numbers in mercury's prop calculator estimating rpm and prop slip and 58 mph is attainable.

I emailed marks prop shop in Indiana for some input from him (he is one of the best prop guys in my opinion)

What would you guys do?
I don't run it wot much, except when by myself. I just want the most possible out of this boat.
My speed needs come from my bass boat which runs low 80's gps

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    First off, thanks for sharing your jack plate experience with the forum.  There hasn't been much mention of owners using this type of device, so it's a welcome edition.

Some limitation comes from the Category 5 hull design.  As it was explained to me and I understand it, it really isn't designed to do much over 50 mph (if you get more than this consider it a bonus).  Often it takes a lot more horsepower to gain just a few mph.  Like you, I am not at wot all the time (not saying I don't enjoy doing it!) and I was more concerned with watersport performance activities; like better hole shot and lower planing speed.  I decided to compromise on high speed wot for better overall performance for what I'm really using the boat for.  Ultimately, usually the rpm gauge will tell you the story when picking a prop to match the motors wot spec, although it sounds like you may get even better advise from the prop shop guy.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer