Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Trailering 200 Miles with OB Up or Down???

UltraGlide
UltraGlide Member Posts: 11
 I have been out of boating for about 7 years now after my wife and I opened our business, prior to this abstinence I have owned a dozen or so boats since the late 70's. I was surprised and for the most part pleased with how much boats and motors had evolved in 7 - 8 years. I have recently purchased a new SD 187 with a Yamaha 150 OB, most of my boating will be on a couple of north GA lakes that I have enjoyed for years. But we recently purchased a small home on the GA coastal river on Tybee Island, I purchased an outboard because I intend to trailer this boat down to Tybee several time per year. this is approximately a 300 mile trip one way down mostly interstates. In my past I used a motor support bracket on long trips and traveled with the motor partially raised. This new Yamaha has a flip down bracket the allows the motor to rest on the mount frame while up, the dealer staff who seem very nice and pleasant, don't sen to all agree on the best method for to trailer this boat and motor.. I would like to hear from Hurricane and their customers about how they would handle this transporting dilemma?
I'm pleased to be a new Hurricane owner and am looking forward many years of enjoying it on the water, any advise or suggestions you guys cab offer would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome back to boating and congratulations on becoming a Hurricane Owner!

My previous boat had was aluminum with a 90HP outboard.  I trailered it using the flip-down bracket and thought nothing of it until now.  The boat was fine, but if the motor had been heavier or the boat made of fiberglass I might have developed stress cracks or other problems in the transom area.  If I still had the boat I would use a transom saver bracket, it's fairly cheap insurance.

Here's an interesting link on the subject from Boating Magazine:

Post some pictures of your boat when you can!
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    I use a transom saver when trailering however I'm as conflicted as are most when it comes to this.  Without it, the movement and weight of the engine would exert strain and stress on the transom.  Using a transom saver transfers it to the trailer however I always question that impacts on the road, could exert a counter impact from the trailer back towards the engine which in turn add stress to the transom.

I still think its the lesser of two evils and always use a transom saver.  I wouldn't use the flip down bracket.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • jerry226
    jerry226 Member Posts: 15
    all my boats I use transom saver and never a problem. (Just my opinion)

2006 Hurricane 188

2003 Yamaha 130 hp

2004 Trailmaster tandom axle with surge brakes

• instymp
    instymp Member Posts: 14
  • HHP123
    HHP123 Member Posts: 13
    It seems to me that a transom saver assumes a very small portion of the weight, the majority of which occurs around the power head.  I expect it provides some relief to the tilt cylinders though.  When the motor is set in any angle of tile it is "fixed" to the transom and not a "hinge" thus making the saver seem superfluous to me.  I have seen some that are only 30 to 45 degrees above horizontal, (the road), so the load applied would be minimal in those cases.

However, if you use and it works well, by all means enjoy it!