Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Boat Handling

captbobg
captbobg Member Posts: 5

Has any one experienced "  handling " problems in the docking of a 2014, 236 Fun - Deck boat ?

I am 72 years old, and have possessed  a 100 Ton USCG Master License over 30 years. I have never had the problems this 23 foot vessel has given me on any vessel that I have Captained.

At times I feel like I have lost control of the boat, and have hit my Sea-Wall 3 times due to either over or under helm control.

PS I am NOT SENILE, rather I am at a loss to explain how this boat responds to the Helm.

Any THOUGHTS?
Capt.  Bob G

Comments

• mlmeador
    mlmeador Member Posts: 12

I have the same boat but older (2008). I recently lost all steering and, in hind sight, the steering was getting alittle 'sloppy' over the last few months.  I was having to turn the wheel more to get the boat to respond.  The ram O-ring was leaking and since replaced.  You could see a little oil on the ram.  From now on, I'm checking the ram after each use.

I have been told by many mechanics that I must run the engine (Honda OB 200) full throttle for at least a few minutes each time (when warmed up).  The boat at the fastest speed is really tough to handle and feels like the steering is really poor.  I probably need to trim the engine more.  Hope this helps....Marty

• 1wakeup
    1wakeup Member Posts: 4
    With you on this issue.  Too bad I didn't do more research before I bought mine.  Been a boater for 50 years and never had to deal with this steering problem.  Seems no answer, so stuck with $12,000 mistake.
  • M99
    M99 Member Posts: 68 ✭✭

I'm pretty new to boats.  Only a couple years experience and I now have a 2016 2200 OB. With my 36 foot twin screw boat, I would have at least some steerage when I pulled it out of gear, as long as I had forward momentum. But with this smaller outboard, its much easier to handle when in gear and moving forward, but as soon as it goes into neutral, there is 0 steerage, and in reverse, very little either. I find that I have to be in gear and moving forward to control it, so near the dock I have to keep bumping it in and out of gear, since its too fast even at idle as I approach the dock and no steerage when it is out of gear. Luck seem sot have a lot to do with docking without embarrassment.

• caseynettles
    caseynettles Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
    i hear trim tabs help on these boats for low speed steering