Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Vinyl Stains

trpytlik
trpytlik Member Posts: 1
Hello,
We are battling some stains on our 2005 Fundeck. This is the first year we've had issues with this. We've tried vinyl cleaners, vinegar solutions, 303 aerospace protectant and more. What are our options? We love our boat! Thanks!

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭

@trpytlik, I've tried many similar cleaners as you've suggested.  I've found one that I like but even it struggles with some vinyl staining.  If it contains any darkening similar to mildew, etc it may fade but not remove it. 

The product I've used is called Aqua-Tek which is available in Canada (It's near impossible to find online and only two locations within 100 miles of me carry it)  It cleans really well but I've not tackled really tough stains to guarantee it would work.

Its supposedly comparable to 303.  Another option that I've had decent success with is the Simple Green products.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • omar174
    omar174 Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    I had that happen to my first boat. To me it looked more like sun damage than a stain.  :-/

A couple things you could try if you haven't done so. Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, and a water/bleach solution. 
    2003 GS211 Yamaha 150 HP OX66
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭

I'll caution against the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.  A friend used it on his vinyl seats which were a combination of sun damage and staining.  It removed the finish from the vinyl and left the surface rough and in some cases tacky like the backside of a tape.

He ended up replacing the vinyl seats because of the damage from the Magic Eraser.  It has an abrasive (mild but there nonetheless) in it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 416 admin
    trpytlik & @omar174... definitely have to echo what @nquirk advised. Those Magic Erasers are great on hard surfaces, but will remove the finish of the vinyl (leaving it even more exposed to staining). I'm attaching the maintenance guide from Hurricane vinyl supplier.
  • omar174
    omar174 Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    @Capt_Steve, I was suggesting it as a last ditch effort. Since it seems he or she has tried all kinds of stuff with no luck. Also, I have heard of others getting good results with the magic eraser. Under Normal circumstances, I would not recommend it.
    2003 GS211 Yamaha 150 HP OX66
  • Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 416 admin
    @omar174...that's what I figured...just making sure they had all the info out there. Those Magic Erasers really are incredible at cleaning some stubborn stains!
  • Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    If the stains are pink looking, then you actually may have a mold/fungus problem.  These stains are basically impossible to remove since they are deep inside the vinyl and foam underneath, and are caused mold that continues to cause the stain unless it is removed. 

This type of staining is common in my area where we have warm humid summers.  Its been especially bad this year since we have had such a wet summer.  With these types of stains there is virtually no way to remove them without actually taking the vinyl off and treating it from the inside, and in many cases the mold is in the foam underneath, so that has to be replaced as well.  By the time you do that you are better off recovering the seat and replacing the foam.  Some of the newer materials are more resistant than others, and also more costly.
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner