Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Missing Starboard bilge access on Outboard models

MichelBee
MichelBee Member Posts: 33 ✭✭

My pet peeve on my 187OB is the lack of access to the starboard side bilge area. I know this is an issue on certain other models but I don't know if it affects all outboard models.

I am wondering if anybody has actually solved it by adding an access hole. I was thinking in the ladder area. I have seen this several times on the front ladder/anchor compartment.

I would love to move the starting battery and the oil container (E-Tec 2 stokes) to that side so I have enough room for my 2 trolling motor batteries on the port side. This would help weight distribution. I currently have all 3 batteries on the port (the 2 trolling batteries in a forward compartment).

The other thing I was thinking is maybe using a plywood bridge to allow me to slide the batteries to that side using the round access holes already provided.

I looking for ideas or solutions you guys might have already implemented.

Thanks

Comments

• MichelBee

I asked this question a while and never got any feedback.  Spring is here and I'm now looking for projects to do. 

I would like to revisit this if anybody has any ideas.  I understand that's not very common but it's worth another shot.

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    @MichelBee, I've looked at this on my last boat for the reason of changing my boarding ladder on the starboard side as it is fastened to the cap prior to it being installed on the hull.

I considered the same situation of adding the access hole but I wasn't confident enough that with the size of opening I would use that it would sustain weight from people walking on it repeatedly and didn't ever do it.

If you have the nerve to do it, I suspect it will do what you need however I'm not certain the level of support it would provide if the opening is large enough to insert a battery through there.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • MichelBee

"If you have the nerve to do it,"  

That's the main reason I haven't done it.  I know very little about fierglass boats and how they are built.  If the deck wasn't designed to do it,  I'm affraid I would weaken it too much.

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    I think a smaller 3" would be fine, just the size you suggest to handle a battery pass through is most likely to large for an area you'd walk on.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer