Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Ski pole came loose

Options
1pointofview
1pointofview Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
Went tubing for a good part of the day saturday.  this was the longest time we had ever tubed so it got a good workout.   we story the boat in the garage but have to take the pole out to get it in the garage and at that time I found the base post was super lose. 

When I looked at the post underneath I found that 2 of the 4 bolts where loose and the other 2, the nuts fell completely off.  The nuts have a toothed lock washer and then their was a split lock washer.  I thought it was odd because with the lock washer/nut (http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/7d/7d8f39ba-7d74-4c00-93fd-0bd7786709d3_300.jpg) was paired with a split lock washer. I think the split lock washer does not allow for the nut to properly seat and is why it came loose.  I will keep an eye on it and if it becomes loose again, I think I am going to get a bigger washer for better support and then put some lock tight on the bolts to make sure it does not get loose again.

Just something to check out periodically.  You can check it out (on a ss188) by taking the cooler out of the back access above the battery. You will see the wood base and the 4 bolts.  It take a good amount of squeezing to get in there and get to the bolts but it is better than cracking the fiberglass..
2013 Hurricane SS188
115 Yam
Magic Tilt Trailer
Hotty Toddy

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@1pointofview.  This is not meant to lecture but educate.  For many years I did the same thing you did until I notice similar conditions to what you're experiencing and have seen first hand the damage a tube can do by actually bending the entire pole. 

Ski poles are for waterskiing/wakeboarding only as per the manufacturer's recommendations.

Here is a thread with more detail.  This is definitely the preferred and recommended way to tow an inflatable.

http://hurricaneboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/1225/#

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • 1pointofview
    1pointofview Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    Options
    THANKS! we have a 2 person wow and was pulling 2 10 year olds at the most (until the 2 dads got on the tube :)

anyway, thanks for the heads up, guess I never thought about if it was ok or not since the dealer said it would be perfectly fine.  Thanks for the heads up, saved me from some costly repairs
    2013 Hurricane SS188
    115 Yam
    Magic Tilt Trailer
    Hotty Toddy
  • CaptainChris
    CaptainChris Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    Options
    "I'm in the same boat," to use a tired cliche. We had been using our ski pole for tubing this summer, until I noticed stress cracks in the gel coat around the points where the ski pole bar mounts to the boat. I can mark this one up to naivete and my boat being sans warning sticker. Disappointing, but as long as they don't spread, it isn't the end of the world. Only using the Y-harness attachment from now on!  
  • Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 416 admin
    Options
    @CaptainChris... we've used one for several years now, and they are a great solution.