Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Break in period

Eschaub
Eschaub Member Posts: 2
We just bought a new 2013 hurricane 2200dc. Our first day out the boat seems sluggish like we are dragging the anchor or it feels "heavy". This my second Hurricane but I have never broken in a new engine. Is this normal until the break in period is over or should I be concerned? Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 416 admin
    Hey Eschaub...I suspect you're taking on water somewhere. Is the bilge pump running overtime? I'll check with Hurricane customer support to see if there's something I'm not aware of during break-in periods. 
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Do you have the outboard or I/O version? 

If it's a Mercruiser I/O that you have, double check the drive fluid.  A Bravo drive will take fluid from the reservoir over the break-in period and fill in "voids" in the case (this condition is noted in the Mercruiser Owners Manual...... and, oh yeah, consider me "experienced" at this condition).  It can use up to a quart to fill in those voids and will limit engine rpm if the reservoir gets too low.

On my maiden voyage with my new boat, I discovered I had a couple of deck drain hoses disconnected from the hull fittings when I first put the boat in the water and had water pouring in faster than the bilge could pump it........ surprise!  So I definitely would do as Capt Steve suggests and take a peek at the bilge area.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 416 admin
    Excellent point, cjjj...I didn't think about that drive break-in. 
  • Eschaub
    Thanks guys, I checked the bilge area first thing but we were dry. I have checked the drive fluid and it seems ok so far but will continue to watch it. Reading the some of the forums I found it to be a possible compound of things. As the engine breaks in, it will "loosen up". Slow to plan could be fixed by adding smart tabs or a 4 blade aluminum prop. Both relatively cheap and easy fixes. I am waiting to get through the break in period to decide which of these, if not both, I will do. Thanks for your help.
  • Eschaub
    Almost through the break-in period and the dealer called me with a 4 blade aluminum prop to switch out with the 3 blade stainless. While it did help a little the boat is still slow to plane, especially with a few people on board. Talking with the dealer he said everybody who purchased this boat is having the same problem. I have a call into the manufacturer for more help. I guess my next step is smart tabs. We'll see what happens next.