Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Does the vent cap have to be open when fueling a Sun Deck 187?

I've opened the vent and I've left it closed, but nothing seems to allow me to consistently fill my tank...The back pressure shuts me off about 3/4...Only rarely can I get it to F...

Best Answers

Answers

• lazydaysx4
    lazydaysx4 Member Posts: 16
    edited July 2019
    I have a 2019 sundeck 187 and was advised by the dealer selling me the boat that regular gas pumps found at marinas and gas stations are calibrated with a very high flow rate. Boat gas tanks have a small vet that is unable to keep up with the high flow rate of the pump.  As a result, you will get gas overflow around 3/4 of a tank due to the increased pressure inside the tank. If you start pumping additional gas very slowly, you should be able to achieve a full tank. I am able to top my boat off with a portable 5 gallon gas tank which dispenses the gas at a slow rate.  My gauge reads slightly above a full tank.  Good luck.   
  • sullmate
    sullmate Member Posts: 108 ✭✭
    Yes remove the vent cap when filling this will help getting the gas into the tank. I do this on my 2017 188 ss. No overflow problems .
  • benaltman11
    benaltman11 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2019 188 SS and same problem. Dealer relaxed sending unit after I demanded them to do so. 3/4 tank is max I can get gauge to read after replacing sending unit. Last fill up I pressed and released fuel handle 20 times very slowly to see if I could get additional fuel in but still only went a tick over 3/4. I will try the 5 gallon can to off before raising **** at dealership again. Very strange that this is a common issue.
  • Angryleprechaun
    Angryleprechaun Member Posts: 14
    I also have a 2019 188 SS.  My issue is that I have to hold the handle and let the gas flow in slowly in order for it not to shut off.  I can fill my tank, but it may take me 20 minutes to pump 15 gallons at the marina.  Doesn't matter if I have the vent cap off or not.  I'm considering purchasing a portable pump to keep at my dock since no one can figure out how to solve this issue.