Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Boat trailering help!!!

Hurricone
Hurricone Member Posts: 6
Hi everyone. I have a 2017 Hurricane SD 187 I/O (Mercruiser 4.5L 200hp). I'm looking at picking up a truck and was wondering if anyone could help. The truck I'm looking at (Ford F150 2.7L EcoBoost) claims a tow capacity of just over 7000 lbs. Will this work for my boat and trailer? It says the wet weight for the boat is around 3400 lbs., but I can't find the trailer weight anywhere. Also, the trailer I got is a single axle trailer. Is that good enough for this boat?

Comments

• piney
    piney Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
     Good guess for the trailer is 1k-- maybe a bit more or less.  If you're planning highway road trips, consider a transmission cooler. IMO, that will help extend the transmission life. Ford offers a trailering option on some models-- trans cooler, lower ratio rear end.  My truck has a spec capacity of 11k.  My boat and trailer are around 6200-6500. I can definitely tell its back there but no long road trips so not an issue for us.  Its not always the rated capacity but can it be safely driven with the weight (keep highway speeds, sway and the like).
    One of the FORD forums might give you some specific model and trailering performance info
  • HydroCanis
    HydroCanis Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    For automatics, transmission coolers are necessary (may have one already). I have vehicles not rated to pull my ~5,000 load that definitely could and would be stable (long wheelbase), but would not have enough braking capacity so I don't use them (if trailer brakes fail, you'll need to stop the whole rig with the tow vehicle brakes). Good luck! Oh, and I learned the hard way that if you have surge brakes, your electrical connector will need reverse light wired in to lockout the brakes while in reverse.
    David
    2003 Sundeck 217 OB, Yamaha 150 2 Stroke
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own." - Number 6

• maxbird
    maxbird Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    My Hurricane SD195 OB weighs about 4400 lbs boat, motor and single axle aluminum trailer with disk brakes.  I tow with a 3rd gen 4runner with a towing capacity of 5000 lbs.  Been towing for 10 years with no issues with stability and flatland towing at 55-65.  Can be sluggish on steep grades.  You should be fine with that F150.
  • FlyingV5
    FlyingV5 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    Any truck you choose should be equipped for towing. Most manufacturers offer a "towing package" that will typically include transmission cooler, larger radiator, heavier springs and swaybars, prewired trailer brakes, lower final drive ratio and perhaps other upgrades. Since you don't already have a truck without that sort of stuff, why not limit your search to only properly equipped candidates? I tow my FD196 with a 2013 Expedition 5.4L and it works fine. My '90 F150 5.8L pulls it too, but the lighter pickup gets jerked around a lot by the trailer. You feel it back there for sure. These are heavy boats and you need a truck that weighs more than the tow. Any truck rated with adequate towing capacity should deliver, but bigger is better for safety, comfort and durability. As to the trailer, mine is single axle aluminum construction and while it works, I consider it minimal for this boat. I only tow it to the ramp in the spring and to the barn in the winter. If I was dragging my boat all over the country I would want a tandem axle steel trailer. Good luck and tell us what you get!
  • redngreedy
    redngreedy Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Why not step up to the 3.5 Ecoboost and boost your towing to almost 11K?  If you upgrade boats in the future, you already have the truck to pull it.
  • piney
    piney Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    Speaking of trailers--  be sure to consider the tire capacity vs the boat/trailer weight.  Many trailers have smaller tires that have noticeably lower weight specs per tire.
  • gmtk
    gmtk Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    I pull my 2004 SD187 I/O with a 2011 yukon with the 5.3 on a tandem axle trailer.  The boat is heavy, real heavy.  I would definitely recommend a tandem axle trailer and get at least a V8 on your truck. We tried pulling my boat with a F150 with the ecoboost and it really strained.  The boat is so heavy I also put airbags on my yukon for ride and safety.
  • Thesteve
    Thesteve Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    I pull my 2011 187SD OB with a 2013 RX350. Single axel trailer. I pull it down to the lower Keys every summer and back (maybe not next year though) from Palm Beach County and it handles it like a dream. My only issues are construction zones with all the bumps and uneven lanes. When I got the trailer, it had 14 inch wheels, trailer shop recommended 15 inch so I did. Granted, I don't have any hills or mountains I maintain between 65 and 70 except for driving in the keys. I also have no issues with boat ramps unless it is really low tide on take out and the ramp has algae, but I see most standard pickup's having the same issue. At least I am front wheel drive and get out of it quicker.   
  • Hurricone
    Hurricone Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2019
    I know this is a late reply, but thanks for the help! I picked up a Ford F-150 with the max towing package and the 3.5L Ecoboost. Tows the boat with ease and it’s the best vehicle I’ve ever owned!