Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

What size prop should I be looking for?

Zippydacat
Zippydacat Member Posts: 1
Last year got a Sundeck Sport 188OB. Love the boat, but looking for better acceleration and performance. I really would like get a Stainless Steel Prop. I currently have a Mercury 115Hp outboard with the serial number77344A45 17P. What size should I be looking for? I am getting conflicting research results online as to go with a 13x18 or 14x17.

Answers

• FlyingV5
    FlyingV5 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    Zippydacat, the answer is you'll have to experiment. A prop mfr. can make suggestions based on boat weight, horsepower, hull shape, etc. But the final determination will be: which prop allows the engine to run at about 95-100% of its rated max speed at full throttle without over revving. A 3 blade will typically give higher top speed, but a 4 blade may improve low and mid range performance enough to justify a trade-off of a few mph in top speed. Most prop vendors will allow you to test a prop and return it undamaged for the shipping cost if you decide you need a different one. Try to test them with conditions of smooth water and a light boat to see which one you like. My FD196OB lost 3 or 4 mph top speed but is a much better all around boat with a 4 blade prop. It planes out at lower speed and accelerates better now, and I really don't miss the extra speed since these boats tend to beat you up in choppy water anyway. And the SS prop won't bend a blade when I hit a floating stick.
  • camphermitage
    camphermitage Member Posts: 5
    I have a 188ob w/a 115 evinrude.  What prop did u purchase?  I have a14.5x19 top speed 43 at 5500 rpm.  When I add weight or tube no get up and difficult to plane. Looking for the right prop

• dward0
    dward0 Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    I have a 188ob w/a 115 evinrude.  What prop did u purchase?  I have a14.5x19 top speed 43 at 5500 rpm.  When I add weight or tube no get up and difficult to plane. Looking for the right prop

Sounds like you need to pitch down an inch or two.
    1991 Fundeck FD196 Fish and Fun
    1990 Yamaha 130 2 stroke