Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Lack of Power 2004 Hurricane 198R Fundeck

In July of this year we bought a used 2004 Hurricane Fundeck 198R with a Yamaha F115 outboard motor.  The previous owner had about 100 hours on the boat but it had sat unused for we think about a year.  We charged the battery and filled the tank with gas and launched and the boat would not exceed 10 mph on the water and ran at around 2000 rpm.  We took it in to get serviced and they replaced a throttle control that was stuck around 60 percent.  We launched the boat again and it work great, around 30mph, for about a half an hour and then went back to only going around 10 mph but around just over 3000 rpm. 

I am not a boat person and am wondering what could be wrong. Has anyone run into this or have any ideas what it could be?

Thank you. 

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭

There is a possibility that you have a spun/slipping hub.  If you've had it serviced and they changed the throttle control, I'd next check to see if the hub of the propeller is spun.

Usually when they fail, they fail completely however it is possible it has been partially damaged and when it hits a certain RPMs its enough torque to 'slip' the prop shaft but restricts the hub from turning very fast (such as 3000 RPMs and 10MPH)

Easy check if the boat is trailered.  With the key off, but the motor in gear, and apply pressure to the prop to turn it clockwise.  It should resist it.  If it turns, the hub is damaged/spun.  Quick and inexpensive check on the hub side of things.

Next way to be absolutely sure is to pull the prop.  Scratch a marking on the hub and the inside of the prop and reinstall.  Run it until it does this again.  Pull the prop again, if the marks are not aligned, again, you've got proof of a spun/slipping hub.

After that I'm afraid you'll need to solicit mechanical assistance to check to see if you have possible damage to your clutch.

Here's hoping its your prop hub.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer