Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

SS188OB underdeck storage and slow planing

tractor_17
tractor_17 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
I have a new ss188 and some new waterski's measured at 66.5 inches long.
I am disappointed that they are just a little too long, or the storage area is a little too short to get them in.
Has anyone else observed this and what was the workaround.

Also, I observed another thread about planing, and yes my boat (115txr yamaha) also behaves the same way.
On plane, 23-24+, but slower than that is back in the water at like 10 or less.
I put the se sport 300 hydrofoil and drill free clip on it to make it a little quicker out of the hole and run on plane a little slower,  but not much difference.
Before I look into the trim tabs, could someone who already has them tell me how slow you can keep it on plane?

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    I have an SS188 OB and can tell you that with the weight of this boat and the hull design, low 20s is going to be required (without tabs, etc) to maintain it on plane.

The only difference is engine size as to the # of RPMs to keep it there (translation, fuel burn to maintain plane is higher for a smaller engine than a large one that can maintain it at a lower RPM)

I don't have water skis so I cannot comment on how to overcome that issue.  I am looking at installing a trolling motor and looking at the locker as storage for the motor when not in use so you're comments have helped me as I'll ensure I measure before I do anything along those lines.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    Don't know if this will help, since I have a 217 SD, but with my boat planing speed dropped about 5 mph with the addition of the trim tabs.  I gained another little bit with the addition of a 4 blade prop.  Before the tabs my boat was planning at around 19-20 mph.  Now at around 15 mph.  It really helped in my case, because my daughter seem to like to wake board at right around 17 mph, and it was really hard before the tabs and new prop. 

Can't help with the locker space.    
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • tractor_17
    tractor_17 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    thanks guys, was hoping the hurricane admin would reply as well.
  • murrayk
    murrayk Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a new 2012 SD 187 and was EXTREMELY disappointed to find a standard pair of adult water skis (68") will not fit into the ski locker. I found another pair at 67", but they too would not fit. The only option I know of to purchase Jr. Skis that are 64", but that's no solution. 

I would be very interested to see if anyone has a better option. 

Thanks,
    Ken
  • Tobi
    Tobi Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 GS188 with the same problem - another 1" and my skis would have fit.  Seems like something that they would have researched - but overall I am very happy with the boat

• donmat
    donmat Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    I think the smarttabs would be a big help. I had them on my last boat, a Stingray 19 ft with the 4.3 Mercruiser and they made a big difference. Lower planing speeds, faster hole shot and reduced wander at low speeds which is an issue with the deep vee hull. I just received a set for my Hurricane 188 with the 115 yamaha and will be installing them in the next couple of weeks. I expect similar results although the wander is not much of an issue on this hull.
  • Ploening
    Ploening Member Posts: 4
    A big miss design on the ski storage! I would love a work around solution or fix.
  • bigsky
    bigsky Member Posts: 8
    Did you notice much improvement when you installed the trim tabs? How slow can you go and still be on plane?
  • Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 416 admin
    Hey guys...new admin here...I will get you answers for any issues you might have. Don't know if this was previously resolved, but please let me know if I can help. Thanks for your patience!
  • jlake
    jlake Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Just got a SD 187 OB this spring, and when trying to load the new set of waterski's last week discovered this issue as well....they won't fit in the storage locker!  There is about a 1 inch issue with length.  I too would love to hear of any work arounds.  Junior size skis work for my young boys, but not for me and my wife! 
  • Ploening
    Ploening Member Posts: 4
    Captain Steve, You mentioned in a previous email regarding ski lockers that you would research a work around for the ski lockers that can't fit the average size 67" to 68" water ski's through the door opening.  I own a 2012 SS188 with this issue. Any solutions from your April email? Many owners are asking this question.
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭

@Ploening... I'm not sure there is much that can be done on a molded door opening or existing ski locker.    Ultimately the issue is not as much the locker length (which give the size of the boats and the location of the fuel tank) but the size of the door opening.

The door opening is part of the overall hull cap so Hurricane can only change the design for future boats but for existing boats I'm not sure there is anything you could do to workaround this issue.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 416 admin
    @Ploening ... haven't forgotten about this, but it's looking like @nquirk has it right. Other than a not-recommended physical modification, the storage locker on a 187 is a big as it's going to get. 
  • jendice
    jendice Member Posts: 3

Funny to find this after our skis wouldn't fit, in the 2014 Sundeck 187. My dealer claimed he wasn't aware, and asked how long our skis were. Oh well.