Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

SD 217 I/O Drain

kylepaul
kylepaul Member Posts: 9
The drain at the back of my SD 217 I/O does not 'self drain'.  The hose attached to the drain wraps around to the middle of the boat to the flapper and there doesn't appear to be any obstructions yet every time it rains or I wash the boat out water pools at the back of the boat and does not empty.  Is this a design flaw or is there a way to flush it out. 

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭

Your boat has a similar deck layout like mine.  My rear deck drains (there are two, one in each back corner of the deck) go out hull fittings (the "flapper" you mentioned is called a "scupper") located near the rear of the boat.  My drain outlets do sit under water when I'm not under power.  However, my deck drains are a bit higher in elevation, so they do drain (if the drains don't have an obstruction, your boat may have them sitting a bit lower, which would explain slow or no draining).  However, because the deck drains are wide open without any screen covering them to prevent debris from going down them and drain water is not under much pressure, the scupper can sometimes hold back and accumulate debris.  I sometime use a hose and flush the drain system under pressure to help keep them clear.  Others use compressed air.

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer