Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Options for replacing original canvas FD 232 cover

six50joe
six50joe Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
I've been treating my 1998 FD 232's original snap-on cover as gingerly as possible for many seasons, but it's at its end.  more than half the snaps have ripped out on one side of the boat and the back corner just falls into the boat now. 

I've seen "semi-custom" boat covers online, like the ENDURA covers on iboats.com, but have no experience with them.   The questions I have are:

Are they as easy to put on as a snap cover, from inside the boat when it's moored?
Most importantly, can you put them on while the bimini top is up, as well as the ski pole?  I'm not sure I could put up with having to take them down after every use, not to mention the wear and tear that will put on the bimini.

Can any original snap cover be repaired, or is there a point where the fabric is too far weakened by exposure the sun and elements?

In my looking around thus far, I haven't found any used original covers in good condition for sale.   Is it worth trying?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
1998 Fundeck 232
1198 150hp Johnson Oceanrunner (J150EXECD)

Comments

• bshippjr
    bshippjr Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    While I have a 2-piece snap on cover that I use during the summer for my SD 217 (that is kept on a lift in a covered slip) I have a generic full cover that I use during the winter.  To use the full cover I have to take down the bimini and I put a couple of towels over the top of the ski pole to protect the cover.  I don't believe you are going to find a generic or semi-custom full cover with cutouts for the bimini and ski pole (although I have read about folks cutting holes in a full cover to go over a ski pole).

I think you would have a hard time putting on a full cover from inside the boat as the full cover will extend over the rub rail, and the bungee sewn into the cover will want to contract bringing the sides of the cover together.  Ours is easy to install by two people putting the cover over the bow and then walking the cover down the fingers of the slip, putting the cover over the stern and then hooking the cover to the lift with bungees.

As to your snap on cover, I have had snaps replaced on my cover.  Ask a local canvas shop if yours is in a condition to be repaired.  I also highly recommend using 303 Fabric Guard to protect the cover.
    Hope this helps.
    2000 Hurricane SD 217 OB
  • Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    I agree with bshippjr.  I use my 2 piece canvas cover during the boating months and I have an Endura cover that I put on the boat for winter storage.  I do not think it would be possible to put the Endura cover on the boat from inside the boat.  The Endura cover has to be tied down around the sides and even under part of the boat, or strapped to a trailer to keep it on.  It is also not designed to work with the bimini top.  With my cover, I have to disconnect the top and lay it inside the boat before installing the cover.  My cover also did not fit the ski pole, and I had to have it modified to fit.  I install the Endura cover when the boat is on a work rack at my marina so I can properly tie it down around the corners and under the boat.  I also use the 303 fabric guard, and highly recommend it.............but it is expensive.

Look around and you can probably find a local canvas person that can repair or make a new 2 piece snap on cover for your boat out of Sunbrella fabric.
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • six50joe
    six50joe Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Thanks for the useful information.  It looks like my only options are either is to get a 2 piece canvas cover to use during the boating season, or repair my cover.  While looking for searching for canvas repair services, more information came up about DIY repairs.  Most of it is about how to install the snaps with a special tool.  Strangely though, I haven't been able to find much information about repairing areas where the snap has just ripped out of the canvas due to age.  In areas like these, is it possible to patch and install a snap in the same place?  -or does a snap need to be installed in a new place both on the canvas and the boat?
    1998 Fundeck 232
    1198 150hp Johnson Oceanrunner (J150EXECD)
  • bshippjr
    bshippjr Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    Understand that I am not a dyi type and would go to a canvas shop, but if your only issue is fabric around the snaps, i suppose you could get a piece of closely matching fabric and fold it over the edge of the cover and sew it to the cover.  Then you could install the snap in the same location as the current snaps.   I would still check with a fabric shop about their opinion and estimated cost of repair.  As an fyi on replacement, I was given a ballpark of $850 to replace my two piece snap cover using Sunbrella fabric (other fabrics were going to be about $100 cheaper).
    2000 Hurricane SD 217 OB