Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

I may need to replace 1 to 2 more gauges. Anyone did it?

Options
pbolden
pbolden Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
Hello Everyone,

I am continuing to work through some issues.  I may need to replace 2 more gauges as seen in the pic below #1 & #2 (the fuel gauge and hour meter).  This time I will need to remove the instrument panel to replace the gauges.  If you have done this, I have several questions:

1) Will removing the screws that seem to hold the panel in place, indeed remove the panel?
2) Will the wiring allow me to bring that panel forward enough to disconnect the gauges?
3) #3 points to a steering fluid control knob.  Must this be disconnected and if so, how?
4) #4 points to the circuit breakers.  Must these be unscrewed from the panel?

Any direction on this would be unimaginably appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul Bolden

United States Coast Guard Aux, VFC, FSO-VE

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@pbolden,

I can't confirm #1 for sure, but I would believe yes from my experience removing the dash in 3 other (but different) Hurricane models.

#2, There should be some slack in the wiring harnesses, but minimal.  This is done I believe for 2 reasons.  1 to reduce materials used but more importantly, 2 to prevent drooping wiring harnesses in the helm storage areas so you don't snag/pull on the wiring when placing stuff in/out of the helm storage.  You may however need to squeeze into the back of the helm to access them depending on the slack in the wires.

#3 The hydraulic filler plug should hopefully have enough hose behind it that when you pull the dash forward it will give you the clearance you need to replace the gauges.

#4 Again, will depend on #2 as the length of the cables behind but I suspect their is sufficient slack in the wiring harness to pull forward without having to remove the breakers.

My suggestion would be to remove the screws for the dash and see how much play you have in the wiring before disconnecting anything.

Also, a little tip I use when doing this type of work.  Take your cell phone, snap a bunch of pictures of the area(s) you work in.  That way if you mix something up, you have a good reference handy to go back and look and what you done.

Good luck

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • pbolden
    Options
    Hello nquirk,

Thanks for the advice and great tips.  It is much appreciated!

Paul Bolden 
  • jopaul217
    jopaul217 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Had to replace my Faria  voltmeter/gas gauge all the dash screws come out gently remove dash and mark wires before disconnecting.. Sent the gauge back to Faria and they replaced for free
  • pbolden
    Options
    I went ahead and replaced the gauges.  I didn't find out until after I had bought replacements that the old ones were under a faria lifetime replacement warranty.  Ouch.