Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

FD216 or FD226

I am looking to buy either the FD216 or FD226.  I like these models for the roominess of the deck with the performance of a speed boat to pull tubes and things.  I want to be able to boat in protected lakes, coastal bay areas (Ocean City MD. to Rehoboth DE. for those than know), and possibly even to take a spin in the great ocean if possible.  I know the specs that differentiate the 216 from the 226 but do not know what specs have the greatest bearing on my requirements.  I assume the 216 extra weight and larger beam are the two most important differences.  I have spoken to two Hurricane dealers letting them know where I would boat.  One said the 216 would be better for the choppy waters and the other said the 226 was equally as good (and better) as a 216 and when in a 226 if the water is so choppy it is uncomfortable I should probably not be out in it.  Needless to say, the contradictions are hindering my  decision.  What are the main differences I should expected while in the bay areas?  Also, are those differences exceptable if the price difference is substantial?  I know alot of this is subjective, but whatever advice you all can bring the newbi would be great.

Thanks,

Chris

2013 FD 226

Yamaha 150 Four Stroke

Venture Trailer

2nd RGR BN.

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭

Because of the hull design, choppy water will be uncomfortable.  What's important to determine is what is choppy.   Personally, when you have a strong wind enough to generate rolling waves and/or white caps on the top of them, the hull design of the modified deep V is going to slap on top of these waves and be uncomfortable.

I can't see where an additional 10" of beam is going to improve that situation substantially to differentiate between the two boats.

For choppy waters, a deep V hull is better suited so looking at a Hurricane such as the Sundecks will handle the chop better, but when you get into rolling waves, its important to realize these are still small crafts and not designed for heavy chop.

If its small chop or smoother waters, I'd pick whichever of the 216 or 226 best suits your pocket book along with offering you what you want in the boat.

So in protected lakes on an average day, they'll both provide you a lot of fun and meet your needs and if it gets a little windy, that's the day to skip the coastal runs.

Good luck

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • Broadway
    Broadway Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    @ NQUIRK....thanks alot for your response.  It led me to learn the difference between a deep V and a Mod-V.  Newbies like me don't even know that is something to be investigated until people like you tell us.  Again, thanks a million.

Thanks,

Chris

2013 FD 226

Yamaha 150 Four Stroke

Venture Trailer

2nd RGR BN.

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭

@broadway.  Glad I could help.  Pardon the pun but I was in the same boat 8 years ago shopping for my first boat.  Learned a lot from experienced boaters on forums just like this so its good that we can all share and learn from each other.  I get a ton of advice still from these forums.

Now go get yourself that Hurricane and get out on the water :D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting that the longer boat has less beam and weight than the shorter boat.

I have found that weight does have an effect on ride, especially in choppy water.  It looks like the FD216 can have almost 1,000 lbs more weight (wet weight) than the FD226.  I can understand why one of the dealers recommended the FD216 over the FD226 for choppy waters. 
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer