Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Alarm triggered when underway at speed

djmcd
djmcd Member Posts: 3

Hello Everyone,

New Hurricane owner (2013 SS 201 Merc 4.3L MPI) and happy to be here. Thanks to all for sharing great info.

After only a couple hours of operation, I have the alarm go off (about 5 secs in duration) often when i am trying to accelerate past 3000 or 4000 rpm. It is not consistent but happening about half the time. It will then limit the RPMs and the RPM will surge up and down until I back the motor off.

I've check the typical alarm indicators (motor oil, drive oil, temp) and all are fine althoug those alarms are supposed to be intermittent and this is one long 5 sec alarm and then stops.

I have called the dealer and they tell me they have heard of this problem have a boat in for it and Merc is working with them to figure it out.

Anyone have any such experience or ideas.

Thanks again.

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭

I've only seen this happen once on the carbed 4.3L version of that boat (2004 model) and it was happening when they would trim the motor up.  It was pinching the intake and little to no water was circulated into the engine and the alarm was a temperature warning.

When he slowed down and trimmed down, it would solve this issue.

Something to look at when it happens is monitoring engine temp.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • bshippjr
    bshippjr Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    This probably is not it, but is your depth finder on?  I left marina and accelerated to get on plane and an alarm sounded, but it was not the typical alarms.  After checking oil, temp, etc I noticed that I had left the depth finder on and accelerating caused the shallow alarm to sound.
    2000 Hurricane SD 217 OB
  • bltpa01
    bltpa01 Member Posts: 1
    I had a similar problem. On plane the engine would die and alarm would sound. The Yamaha shop found that the dealer installed an incorrect control harness. (too short). It had rubbed through 4 wires, 2 of which were the alarm and kill switch. That harness on the GS211 was replaced 3 years ago.
  • djmcd

Thanks for the feedback. Almost certain trim definitely down as i am accelerating trying to get on plane but will watch it and i don't have a depth finder. Wiring could definitely be an issue and will be trying to track them.

Someone advised the following on another forum which is interesting, anyone have any thoughts on it:

You should have mounted on your shift plate a switch. This switch on the MPI engines tells the computer you are in gear. If this switch is not adjusted correctly the computer things your over reving the engine in neutral and sounds a warning.

Thanks again.

• djmcd

Update if others are having this problem

Dealer has said Mercury is aware of the issue, they have had many boats reporting the problem and it has something to do with a false cooling water inlet water pressure signal which then alarms and limits the engine rpm. Unbelievably, Mercury doesn't have a solution yet.

I have found if i ease the boat very slowly up to cruising speed/rpm, I can avoid the alarm but if the engine has to work hard or when you change rpm quickly, it triggers the alarm.

• Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 416 admin
    @djmcd ... good info, thanks
  • avalanche
    avalanche Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    I just purchased 2013 188 I/O with 4.3 Mercruiser MPI and have has short audio alarm and six second audio alarm come on 6 times in week. All gages read ok and all fluids checked ok. Audio alarm has come on usually after pulling tuber. OBD MIL light has never come on and there has never been more than 2 beeps per incident. I have also had a hard time planing out for tubing vs my old boat (Four Winns with carb 4.3). 188 does not plane out until about 23 mph. 188 came with 3 blade aluminum prop J14 X 23P. I will be taking to dealer to have codes checked out(hope that they are all logged on ecm) . I am thinking of swapping out prop for a 5 blade stainless High Five with 21 pitch for better planing and midrange performance. I can sacrifice top end. I have seen stabilizers mentioned on forum but seems clunky for lift and swim platform. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
  • Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 416 admin
    @avalanche ... definitely needs to be checked out by dealer. There may be something limiting your performance. Worth a look before re-prop adventure.
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013

@avalanche.  I agree with Capt_Steve on getting that alarm checked.

As for planning at lower speeds, search on the forum here on Smart Tabs. (Here is the direct link where someone has done it with their SS188 and the results) That's the sure fired way to get it on plane and maintaining it at lower speeds.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • avalanche
    Thanks I am taking to Merc dealer. Granchildren went home- so no tubing and guess what- no beeps. Still going to change prop. I have top speed of almost 55 mph so i need more hole shot performance . Also looked at Smart Tab video, might be next step.
  • tksjss@bellsouth.net
    tksjss@bellsouth.net Member Posts: 4
    My 2012 202io is in the shop as i type this for the same issues. Will let you know what they tell me.
  • avalanche
    Mercury dealer got back with me and said Merc told him it appeared to be low water pressure - threshold too sensitive-and is sending to Mercury to reflash ecm ( other minor codes were low voltage and low drive lube-lube is ok). As far as being too hard to plane, we tried a 4 blade alum 20" pitch--that took 5planing down 5 mph and top speed down 5mph. I believe that I still need to reduce planing speed down 5 more mph, so I am trying a High Five 5 blade 19" pitch before I try SX Smart tabs. Anyone have any other advice? Thx
  • avalanche
    Update on 2013 Hurricane 188 Merc 220 hp Alpha. We went with High Five 5 blade 19" prop and SX80 Tabs. It is like a different boat. Top speed went from 56 mph to 46 mph. Hole shot and time to plane greatly improved. Audible alarm issue went away with an ecm reflash by Mercury. Our boat has catalytic converters and OBD mil light and calibration needed fine tuning. Have put some hard hours on the boat and no issues. Only downside is that we have to be careful not to over rev engine.