Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Running on fumes

FlyingV5
FlyingV5 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
I wonder how far my Hurricane boat can go with the fuel gauge on empty? Took some friends to dinner last night. 1st on-the-water cafe we stopped at told us 1 1/2 hr wait for table, but they had lots of empty tables!? Plus, the gas dock was closed at 7:00pm, still broad daylight on a Saturday. So we ran on down the lake a few more miles to what turned out to be a wonderful new place where we had never eaten, then headed home in the dark. Gas gauge was initially jumping between 1/4 and E, but soon it quit jumping. I got up on plane and throttled back to 4000rpm, figured I would get as close to home as I could before it quit. For a half hour we cruised along on Empty, and pulled into the slip still under power. Hooray for whoever calibrated the fuel gauge, I'll never do that again!

Comments

• Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    I think it has to do with how the sending unit is designed.  The ones I've looked have the bottom sensor a few inches above the bottom of the tank, so when the fuel level hits the bottom sensor, you still have a few inches of fuel in the tank.

One thing that I've noticed on my boat is that the fuel gauge drops more rapidly the closer it gets to empty.  I think this is due to the shape of the fuel tank.  On my boat, when I hit 1/4 of a tank, you can almost watch the needle move for that last bit of fuel.  When I get close to 1/4 tank, I'd better be within sight of a fuel pump.
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately I've never seen these analog fuel gauges be really reliable.  However, another option (but not inexpensive) is if you have a newer engine, many manufacturers have a monitoring system (I have a Mercury with the Smart Monitor system)  Once calibrated upon installation, it then monitors fuel flow.  Having been told the capacity of my fuel tank, when it hits a low range, it'll flash and tell me along with the number of gallons consumed and my current flow/consumption rate to give me an estimate of range remaining.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • FlyingV5
    FlyingV5 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

OK, here is the math. Fuel capacity of a FD196OB is listed as 29 gallons. I poured in two 2 1/2 gal. lawn mower cans, so say 4 to 5 gallons added. Then we ran about twenty minutes to the fuel dock and took on 26 1/2 gal. So there is around two gallons left to account for +/- and we burned some of that. It was empty.

So the gauge is actually very well set up in that it shows a reassuring 1/2 tank+ for a long time, then gives a useful reserve after a rapid drop to E.

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭

@FlyingV5, that good news.  You're very fortunate and the most important part is not how it works, but that you have confidence in it because you know what 1/2 and E really means.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer