Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Trailering a 2000 SS 201 IO

losan1959
losan1959 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
I just purchased a 2000 SS 201 IO and am so excited to get out on the water. I plan on trailering the boat and would like to know the specifications on the boat (Dry Weight, Wet Weight) and some options for a type of trailer to use. I'm originally from NY and we used roller type trailers but I'm in Florida now and it seems that bunk style float ons are the way to go. I'd appreciate any of your experiences and knowledge on the subject. Also, what kind of budget should I set aside for a new or used trailer and should I go with Aluminum or Galvanized. I know the Aluminum trailers save on weight but is the extra expense worth it and how much lighter to their equivalent galvanized. Thanks in advance for your answers and help. See you out there! (-;

Best Answer

Answers

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭

@losan1959.  I can't find the specifics on that year/model but from experience with a 2004 of the same model that a friend has the dry weight is around 3300 and the wet weight is around 3800lbs.

I think bunk vs rollers is a preference thing.  I much prefer bunks (easier and less expensive to maintain/repair/replace)

I'm in Canada so I'm of no value on trailer pricing.

As for aluminum vs galvanized, I did a quick look at a comparison of Shorelander trailers.  a dual axle aluminum vs steel were approx. 50lbs difference (aluminum was in fact the heavier one)

I don't use my boat in saltwater but I don't know which is preferred for salt water use but locals will know for sure which last longer in those conditions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • losan1959
    losan1959 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Thanks for the info. It's about what I though it was going to be. Do you know the actual trailer weights too? 
    nquirk said:

@losan1959.  I can't find the specifics on that year/model but from experience with a 2004 of the same model that a friend has the dry weight is around 3300 and the wet weight is around 3800lbs.

I think bunk vs rollers is a preference thing.  I much prefer bunks (easier and less expensive to maintain/repair/replace)

I'm in Canada so I'm of no value on trailer pricing.

As for aluminum vs galvanized, I did a quick look at a comparison of Shorelander trailers.  a dual axle aluminum vs steel were approx. 50lbs difference (aluminum was in fact the heavier one)

I don't use my boat in saltwater but I don't know which is preferred for salt water use but locals will know for sure which last longer in those conditions.