Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Steering Oscillation

TGeyer42
TGeyer42 Member Posts: 4

Have a 2005 Fun Deck 202 I/O (styled like the current Sun Deck Sport).  At slow to medium speeds (just cruising around the lake) the boat has a pronounced left-right-left oscillation robably up  to 20 degrees each direction.  I am pretty sure it is a result of the hull design combinedd with an I/O drive.  Has anyone found a cure?  Keel fins?  Drink less?   Thanks

Tom

Answers

• Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 416 admin
    Hah! Sounds like you're going down the usual checklist, Tom! The deck-style hull combined with I/O propulsion does tend to wander. I'll see if the engineers have a suggestion to moderate the drift.
  • ssrider
    ssrider Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    I have the same troubles.  A buddy has a different kind of deck boat and he told me to switch to a 4 bladed prop and that will cure the issue.  I haven't done that yet. It sounds like a easy fix other than having to spend more $$
    2004 SD 217 i/o
  • TGeyer42

Thanks.  I did misquote the year - it is a 2007 Fun deck 202.  Probably doesn't make a diff.  Still able to put in 250+ hours a season cruising, tubing, skiing, etc.  Besides the oscillation, the only complaint is the location of the oil dip stick.  Hard to attach the had pump to change oil - room for about 1 1/2 fingers!

Good Boating.....

Tom

• TGeyer42
    ssrider said:
    I have the same troubles.  A buddy has a different kind of deck boat and he told me to switch to a 4 bladed prop and that will cure the issue.  I haven't done that yet. It sounds like a easy fix other than having to spend more $$

Sounds a bit far fetched, but will keep in mind, thanks

• ssrider
    ssrider Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Yeah i'm not to confident on that one either.  Let me know if anything helps.  Thats prob the only thing that i don't like about my boat. This is my first i/o, always had outboards before. I love the extra room on the back with the i/o tho. 
    2004 SD 217 i/o
  • FlyingV5
    FlyingV5 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    TGeyer42, try to find the "sweet spot", just before the hull pops all the way up on plane (you may need to give the motor some down tilt). My FD196OB likes it around 3600rpm/22mph. Smooth ride, easy steering, nobody's hat blows off.
  • TGeyer42
    FlyingV5 said:
    TGeyer42, try to find the "sweet spot", just before the hull pops all the way up on plane (you may need to give the motor some down tilt). My FD196OB likes it around 3600rpm/22mph. Smooth ride, easy steering, nobody's hat blows off.

FlyingV5 All I have to do is get the nose out of the water a little bit (2000rpm usually does it).  From there to WOT all is straight and true and smooth.  V8 power gets us 52mph (and hat losses).  After 400+ hours we're kinda used to the oscillation, just a minor irritant.