Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Trailer for SD Sport 188 OB

aaa1950
aaa1950 Member Posts: 19
I have a 2012 Hurricane SD Sport Deck with a 115 hp Yamaha OB.  The trailer it came with is a 2012 Magic Tilt XP 2035. I may be new to boating but the boat seems to set too high on the trailer, the axle seems to be too far back on the boat and the front bunks do not seem to serve any purpose at all.  The boat is difficult to load and unload as I have to back the trailer deep into the water, past what my experienced friends call a comfortable point.  I know the boat ramp plays an important part in how the boat unloads and loads, but I have not had good experiences on several different ramps.  What brand of trailer would you guys recommend?

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    The dealer I bought my Hurricane SD237 from used LoadRite.  I am very happy and very impressed with their construction and quality.  Although mine is a roller trailer, they make bunk designs too.  Here's their link:

My previous boat had a ShoreLand'r trailer.  It was 14 years old and haven't had to replace any parts on it (except tires).  It's also very well made.  Here's their link:

Those are the only two I've had experience with.

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• fdcline
    fdcline Member Posts: 6
    I own a 2010 SD Sport 188 with a Yamaha 115HP OB also. My trailer is an aluminum Yacht Club Tandem axle, surge brakes with electric lockout for when in reverse. Double bunks, one roller on rear of trailer for when boat first enters trailer when loading, last when rolling off. Normal depth to load/unload on it is just at half a fender showing in water, which is usually about mid-axle point. Boat is extremely easy to load/unload and trailering is great. Tongue weight seems to be just right. Note that the trailer has adjustable points for getting boat on in correct position and this is huge for proper tongue weight adjustment. The winch post also can be moved when getting the set up correct. As to the height, boat looks to be high vissually, but actually is just about perfect on trailer when you look at the sides and distance above the fenders. The keel is down in the trailer just above the bottom frame cross members. Utilize multiple ramps with different grade slopes and this trailer has never been anything but easy when loading. Maybe there is some set up adjustments you can do on your trailer to correct your issues. Happy and Safe boating!
  • FlyingV5
    FlyingV5 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    My 2013 FD196 came with a Road King single axle aluminum trailer. Just two straight bunks and a cushion on the winch post, no rollers. The boat sits high but the keel is right down close to the axle so no way to change that. It needs a steeper ramp compared to some rigs so you can get the trailer deep without sinking your truck. I back mine in deep enough to just float the whole boat free to launch. I learned not to try driving the boat onto the trailer like most boats. Instead I back the trailer in until the winch post cushion is at the same height above the water as the bow eye on the boat. I drive the boat all the way over the trailer, winch the bow against the cushion and let the boat settle onto the bunks as it comes up the ramp. If it is not where I want it I refloat it because it is too heavy to winch forward on the trailer when out of the water.  
  • Mockbees
    Mockbees Member Posts: 1

I also have a 2013 Hurricane SD Sport Deck with a 115 hp Yamaha OB.  The trailer it came with is a 2013 Magic Tilt XP 2035.  The boat seems matched well to the trailer. My issue is the trailer tongue weight. From the dealer the tongue weight  was 350 Lbs empty. After some adjusting and trying different positions we have the boat back at the dealers setup and our tongue weight is 385 Lbs fully loaded. Loading and unloading seem to go good.

At this weight we have no margins for additional gear or passengers.

Any thoughts on how to reduce the tongue weight.?   

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭

@Mockbees.  Always best to open a new thread so it gets managed and answered separately.

My guess as you've not mentioned what Sport Deck boat you have but lets assume it has a wet weight of 3300 lbs.  Combined with the trailer weight, you're most likely in the 3800-4000lb weight.

Tongue weight should range between 7-15% of your total trailered weight so if my #s are correct, you're in the right range.

Your question on reducing the tongue weight. 

Two ways to do this.  Moving the boat position back on the trailer (easier of the two) to move more front/back weight behind the axle.  However, you don't want the boat/transom hanging way beyond the end of the bunks/rollers.  So if its in the far back position and you still need to reduce tongue weight you'd be into moving the location of the axles on the trailer forward.

Here is really detailed information on how this applies if you're so inclined. http://www.continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/trailering/trailerCalculations.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • aaa1950
    I learning like Flying V5 that driving the boat onto the trailer isn't the beat way to load. I will back in as far as possible for now and winch the boat. But I'm not satisfied with the single axle MagicTilt and plan on replacing when I'm able, hopefully with a tandem axle or a different brand single axle. 
  • 1pointofview
    1pointofview Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    I have a magic tilt that came with my ss188.  Drove it from FL to Nashville and other than the weight, it pulled like a dream.
    2013 Hurricane SS188
    115 Yam
    Magic Tilt Trailer
    Hotty Toddy
  • aaa1950
    Just a follow on my original post. I purchased a LoadRite tandem axle trailer for my Hurricane 188 SDS. Loading and off loading is much improved, I still need a lot of experience but I'm getting there. Trailering the boat on the highway now is 150% better. I highly recommend a tandem axle for a heavy boat. And for the inexperienced boaters I also highly suggest target bunks on your trailer.
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Excellent trailer!  Just curious, did you end up getting a bunk or roller design?

Also, did it come with EZ-Lube hubs (it might be standard on LoadRite's)?  It's a great design for maintaining the grease in hubs.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• RDean
    RDean Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2014
    aaa1950 said:
    Just a follow on my original post. I purchased a LoadRite tandem axle trailer for my Hurricane 188 SDS. Loading and off loading is much improved, I still need a lot of experience but I'm getting there. Trailering the boat on the highway now is 150% better. I highly recommend a tandem axle for a heavy boat. And for the inexperienced boaters I also highly suggest target bunks on your trailer.
    Just curious what model? My SD187 came with a Magic Tilt ALS 1931 with a 3100 net capacity. It had the 2 rear bunks with the center V plastic that was scratching my keel so I took it in and had the V replaced with bunks. It lines up better but is a pain to get off the trailer. Also I have learned that you are supposed to have brakes on a load of more than #3000 in Florida. I went back to my dealer and offered to pay the difference between my trailer and an upgraded one with brakes. He told me they couldn't do it, the best they could do is give me used trade for mine and sell me a new one. So that is annoying, the whole point in getting this boat was to explore Florida and I don't feel comfortable going more than 5 miles to my local lake. I don't understand how the dealer can sell a boat that is listed on the website as 3700 wet on a trailer that is a 3100 pound capacity with no brakes. Either way I guess I have learned for my next boat purchase and now I am looking for a better trailer so I can use my boat the way I wanted to.
  • aaa1950
    I went with the LoadRite 5S-AC215200102TB1. It has tandem axles, 14" tires and surge brakes on the front axle. I upgraded to LED lights as well. It did come with the EZ-Lube hubs. Like RDean I was concerned about the weight of the boat on a trailer that will max out over the rated capacity of the trailer. For those like me with little experience please pay special attention to the trailer the dealer wants to sell you. Don't hesitate to question the capability of the trailer to trailer the boat safely. This trailer has a rated capacity of 5200 pounds which is sufficient for a SDS 188 w/yamaha 115 OB. One thing I learned after buying the first trailer is to always go to the next level for carrying capacity. The brakes are well worth the peace of mind. I also went with bunks, I just didn't like rollers. Believe me, pulling the boat, loading and off loading is a breeze.
  • jerry226
    jerry226 Member Posts: 15
    I have a Trailmaster Tandom axle for my 188  works great

2006 Hurricane 188

2003 Yamaha 130 hp

2004 Trailmaster tandom axle with surge brakes