Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Hurricane 226 Fundeck trailer recommendation

Jerry
Jerry Member Posts: 1
I just purchased a used 2007 Hurricane 226FOB with Yamaha 115 without a trailer.  I need to purchase a used or new trailer and would like to know which style is recommended for this boat--bunk boards or rollers?  The boat will mainly be kept on a boat lift and the trailer will only be used occasionally.
Any other suggestions about the best trailer for this model would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Jerry

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Since a used boat trailer's condition and "already installed" features will dictate whether it's worth consideration or not, I'll talk more about what to consider in a new trailer since you'll have the option to consider features or not.  If a used one has them, great.... if not you can always consider adding them.

I've had experience with two boat trailer manufacturers and both have served me very well.  Both are galvanized .  My first was ShorLander and my current one is LoadRite.  Both trailers are roller design, which I like, and have had no problems with either of them.  The ShorLander is 14 years old and the LoadRite is starting it's third year.

LoadRite is more North and somewhat South east based.  They have a page that answers a lot of questions you will have in making a decision on the style and load rating.  Here's a couple of links to their site:

ShorLander has a broader base of dealers.  Here's their link:

Which type you use has to do with a couple of things.  Will the boat hull design be properly supported by a roller style trailer?  For example, many cheaper aluminum boats shouldn't use rollers because its hull and material design could put dents in the hull, this is obviously not an issue with the Hurricane hull.  Another is where you do your boating and what kind of slope exists on the ramps you'll be using and what level the water is.  Steeper slopes and/or deeper water make bunk trailers work easier, shallower water and/or lesser angled ramp slopes give rollers an advantage as there's less friction to push the boat off the trailer. Roller trailers also allow you to "power on" to the trailer, which is convenient if you are boating alone.  Bunk style are usually a bit less money and probably less costly to maintain in the long run (due to not having to replace roller parts).  That being said, my 14 year old ShorLander hasn't had to have any roller maintenance (replacement) done as of yet.

A VERY helpful feature to get are hubs that allow you to grease them with out taking the wheels off or the hubs apart.  Bearing Buddies were the first attempt at improving this, but the system applies pressure to the inner grease seal and, if you're not careful, too much pressure can damage the seal.  The newer technologies have you apply grease through the back of the hub (the fitting may either be located in the center of the hub by the hub nut, or in the rear of the hub housing) which pushes it through both the inner and outer bearings and out the front of the hub applying no pressure to the rear grease seal.  My LoadRite came with this design.

Tie Down is a supplier to the trailer manufacturers for this.  Here's a link to their owner's manual for these style hubs: http://www.tiedown.com/pdf/c718.pdf

You didn't mention the kind of vehicle you'll be towing with but usually boats in excess of about 2,500 lbs will require trailer brakes (trust me, you'll want them anyway) and you need to check you're state's laws regarding this as well.  Depending on how your tow vehicle is set up, you may have a choice between electric or surge brake systems.  I have surge brakes on the LoadRite trailer (Tie Down manufactures the system, the ShorLander didn't have/need brakes) and I'm pretty satisfied with them.  However, electric brakes working off a dash mounted controller gives you better over all control over the brakes operation (like manually applying the brakes from the dash controller to stop a trailer from swaying back and forth).

LED lighting rocks over incandescent bulbs!!!..... 'nough said on that subject. 

I apologize for the long-winded response, but I find many boat owners not paying as much attention to their trailer as they do their boat (as evidenced in seeing the shoddy condition of a bunch of stored owner's trailers at the marina I go to).  They end up paying a lot of attention to them when they're broken down on the side of the road watching valuable vacation time ticking away and a having the family not very happy with Dad!

Hope this helps!
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer