Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Question about changing oil on 2012 F115

Options
yzfmik
yzfmik Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
I have a 2012 Yamaha F115 (on a 188OB) and when reading the manual it states to use an "oil changer" to pump out the oil.  The manual Yamaha has online, which is an older manual, states to drain via the drain plug.  Why would this have changed, it appears mine has the same drain plug shown in the older manual.
2012 188 Sundeck Sport OB w/ Yamaha 115

Comments

• callforbids
    callforbids Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    Options
    I am puzzled by Yamaha advising to drain the oil using a pump. You don't always get all the old oil out with a pump. I have a F115 and a F150 and remove the plug on both of them to drain the oil. Remember it is a metric bolt (I think 13mm) and make sure you have a funnel to place under the rubber discharge area that will allow you to get all the old oil and into a drain pan. I might add the first time I changed the oil I just let the bolt fall down into the funnel which partially blocked the funnel and it oveflowed onto my shirt, pants, shoes and on the ground. Be careful and good luck!
  • Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    Options
    You can do it either way. I prefer using an extractor to remove the oil. Its less messy. I had a similar experience as callforbids the first time I used the drain plug..........oil, oil everywhere including on me. If you do it through the drain plug be sure to be ready with a catch pan right up next to the drain, or oil runs down all over the lower unit.
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner