Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Hurricane SD 2400 in the ocean?!?!?!?!?!

tommizerek
tommizerek Member Posts: 2
I am looking to purchase a 2009 Hurricane SD 2400 IO, how is that boat going to handle coastal waters like the Long Island Sound, and 1-4 foot seas????....Please help, I really like the boat, but I don't want to make a mistake

Comments

• Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    I took a ride on a 2200 in pretty rough conditions, and it handled it well. I think you would have no problems with the 2400 in those conditions. Both boats share the same hull design and they are a much deeper "V" than the other models, so rough water handling is improved.
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    A good friend of mine took his RV to a Marina resort on one of the Florida Keys islands this past January.  He couldn't wait to call me and tell me the marina was filled with Hurricane boats.  He and his wife vacationed with our family on Lake George last year right after I purchased my SD237 and was very impressed with the boat and the way it handled and performed, even it some pretty choppy water courtesy of Hurricane Irene's approach (he's former Coast Guard, and yes....Irene even reached Lake George and blew out power).  I have the older hull design (by choice) which has a flatter hull (12.5 degree transom deadrise).  I agree with Ernest T's advice; he is right on the money with his comments regarding the newer hull models.  I'm planning a Hudson River trip and I wouldn't hesitate to consider taking my "flatter hull" into the sound on another trip (choosing a "good weather" day of course).  The deeper V model will perform even better in that kind of water.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• quadzila
    quadzila Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    I have the 236 fundeck with similar hull  and use it on the long island sound's north shore and recently encountered 2-3 ft from a west wind and it handled great. I do not think you will have and problems. I will be taking mine to Montauk in August hope this helps.....good luck and i say go for it. GREAT BOAT!!! 
  • callforbids
    callforbids Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    I have a 2008 SunDeck 2000 with a Yammy F150 on it. I cruise the Intercoastal Waterway in southwest Florida.

Last winter I was coming accross Charlotte Harbor from Boca Grande to Burnt Store Marina (about 9 miles).
    The wind kicked up and changed to a northeastern direction. I had six people on board and the boat did great in the four footers and pretty well in the occasional six footers. Naturally, I was only going about 8 mph. Never took any water over the bow (except for a few splashes).

Granted, I don't often boat in those conditions, but felt the SD2000 handled it very well.

Steve
  • gloverrub13
    gloverrub13 Member Posts: 7
    I have the same boat - OB - and I personally would not want it in more than 1-2 foot seas.
  • j-aman@hotmail.com
    j-aman@hotmail.com Member Posts: 13
    I have a 18.8 sun deck in the Gulf of Mexico and 2-4 ft seas boat is dry.