Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Oil pressure drops to 0 at speed

Options
jegraham
jegraham Member Posts: 15
My oil pressure gauge has dropped to 0 around 30 mph several times today. Boat is a 2012 ss201 I/O with only 4 hours on it. The fuel gang has also bounced around a couple of time. Full to empty and back to the correct reading. What is going on?

Comments

• cmarti
    cmarti Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Options
    Most likely this is a connection problem with the wiring or grounds. I am having some gauge issues as well with my speedo and tach on my 2012 232OB. I am going to take mine in at 10hrs and get the first service done along with these pesky warranty issues. I am at 3 hrs on my boat. It wont stop me from enjoying it and working out the bugs until I have a chance to take it in or do with out it for a while. Good luck.
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not sure what I/O configuration you have.  My 2012 SD237 I/O has a Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT with a Bravo 3 drive.  If you have either the Mercruiser 4.3L MPI ECT or the 5.0L MPI ECT, there is an audio warning system that will come on if you have too low or no oil pressure (other things will trigger this system as well, like engine overheating, low water pressure, low drive pressure etc.).  There?s two types of signals: a ?Caution? signal which goes on and off six times in one second intervals; and a ?Severe? signal that initially goes off for six seconds on, then 6 seconds off, then six seconds on, then two half-second intervals on every sixty seconds.  You should also be equipped with Mercury?s Engine Guardian System, which cuts back engine performance to minimize engine/drive damage and, depending on the severity of the problem, limp you back home.

Not sure about Volvo Penta (if that?s what you have), but I?m sure they must have something similar since Mercury and Volvo both use the same GM based engines.

If the audio alarm system is not coming on when you see the oil pressure gauge reading low or zero, then there is a very good chance you have an electrical connection issue to the gauge/instrument panel.  Either way, it?s a trip to the dealer eventually.

Hope this helps.  This is probably minor; try not to let it put a damper on enjoying a great boat!
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• jegraham
    jegraham Member Posts: 15
    Options
    I have the 4.3 MPI with the Alpha 1 set up. I have no audio or warning lights that indicate a problem just the gauges acting funny. Heading out again this weekend for a couple of hours. I will keep an eye on the dash to see if they keep doing this. Thanks for the help.
  • erbfour
    erbfour Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I too have a similar problem. Did you ever find and answer?
  • Epavuk
    Epavuk Member Posts: 26
    Options
    What kind of motor do you have?   I just purchased a 2012 SS 188 OB  with a Yamaha 115 and had the same problem.   It's back to the dealer as we speak.   I was dropping oil pressure right around 2000 RPM and it would either stall or drop in RPMs.   Very fustrating to spend that much on a boat and have it in service after only 6 hours on the water! 
  • pennykelly1
    pennykelly1 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Our boat ( 2011 Sundeck 2400 I/O) was doing the same thing this summer and we just had it serviced under the warranty.  The sender unit was bad and was replaced.  [8D]