Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Corrosion on SD2400OB

spouses
spouses Member Posts: 5
Is anyone else experiencing terrible corrosion on the plastic used in the front nav lights and the rear washdown hose on the SD2400 series deckboat? I am also breaking the pop rivits on the snap covers...a little salt water action and these are corroding and breaking off at the deck.

I converted the rear washdown to a regular 'slinky' hose with a standard garden pistol grip. I have learned to repair the pop rivits with screwed in replacements. But are the nav lights available in a non-chrome version? This chrome-plastic on this boat just does not hold up in saltwater boating!

Comments

• Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    Have not had a problem with corrosion, but I'm primarily in fresh water.  I have had many problems with the snaps on the covers and on the boat, breaking, coming off, loose, etc..  My dealer gave me a bunch of extra snaps, plus I bought a kit to do the replacements on the canvas, and screws for the deck.  I wish I could find some of the plastic inserts that attach the male part of the snap to the windshield, cause I've lost a couple of those.  The dealer also recommended a product that looks sort of like a tube of chap stick to rub on the snaps.  After putting on a liberal dose of that stuff, the snaps go on and off much easier, and no more corrosion.  I think it was called Snap Lube or something like that.

Another product that a friend recommended is called Corrosion X.  They make a regular and heavy duty version.  I spray it on all exposed metal.  It is also a dielectric, so you can spray it on electrical stuff (battery, engine, etc.) with no problem.  Don't know if it would protect the chromed plastic stuff or not, but works great on metal.  
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • coryd
    coryd Member Posts: 1
    Not on the plastic but the connecting screws are bleeding rust. Had to replace all of the lock nuts inside the porta potti compartment with proper nylon nuts. The aft wash down hose is holding up, was thinking of converting it where I could connect it to the OB wash down line. Good luck with finding the parts.
  • spouses
    spouses Member Posts: 5
    The plastic cover on the aft washdown broke off, so that is one more piece of chromed plastic that is gone from the boat in three seasons! I found a fitting at Lowes that has the proper threads that go from the end of the washdown house (with the pisol grip removed) to the standard garden hose. I also found a white 25' coil hose at a local hardware store along with a well made, all plastic, garden pistol grip. I may have to make the opening a little wider for the hose to drop inside the opening this spring, but this looks like it will work out.
    I would have preferred to hook the garden hose directly to the fresh water pump without the existing washdown hose but getting to the fresh water pump and the fittings is near impossible since the OB is blocking most of the access to the bilge area where the freshwater pump is mounted. (more about cleaning the intake screen in some future post!)
  • ambertom
    ambertom Member Posts: 2
    I have an 08 SD2200 and have experienced 2 of 3 problems. I  now keep stainless and blue snaps in the shed for repairs. As far as the shower head on the transom, I will rectify it myself. Their shower head there is horrible so I will remedy it down the same road as you.
      The nav lights I am unsure of and have not encountered that problem. Maybe because I boat in rivers as well as the Chesapeake Bay so I am not totally in salt water. I have been told by other experienced boat owners that the snap issue is common among most of us.
  • smiley
    smiley Member Posts: 34
    Its not real chrome and I gave up on it long ago, 2007   195 model   600+ hours  the steering wheel hub  was delivered all f...ed  up, and the replacement under warranty started to do it immediately.  I just got a rudder indicator from the sailing section of westmarine and velcro ed it over it.  Being used to larger vessels I still tend to look at the dash than just turn my head and look at the ob.

Snaps buy a kit and be ready to replace em regularly, I have gone thru almost all of them now on the cover and in the hull, over all it is not a big deal to replace with a dab of 5200 when you screw em in, just an annoyance, We trailer long distances so I just bring the kit and fix em as they happen, even on a log as a stable place to hammer on a beach I forget where.

Bow lights, my "chrome" there is ok, we wash after every saltwater trip and use a chrome cleaner (protectant layer)  The lights itself had trouble on the port side after a few tries I realized it was the bulb itself the end cap had corroded so much there was no contact being made. Fixed and again sealed with a caulk to prevent water intrusion. 

My boat was made the day they had no caulk evidently. I fix and and use the appropriate caulk for whatever I am fixing, it has stopped a bunch of issues, even 5200 ing the windshield back together when it came off the in first 20 hours of use.
  • smiley
    smiley Member Posts: 34

Ironic, that is what I use, chap stick freebies from shows, cheap and works fine, even a little old fashioned vaseline is probably cheaper and works ok.  A little goes a long way

a tube of chap stick to rub on
    Ernest T wrote:

Have not had a problem with corrosion, but I'm primarily in fresh water.  I have had many problems with the snaps on the covers and on the boat, breaking, coming off, loose, etc..  My dealer gave me a bunch of extra snaps, plus I bought a kit to do the replacements on the canvas, and screws for the deck.  I wish I could find some of the plastic inserts that attach the male part of the snap to the windshield, cause I've lost a couple of those.  The dealer also recommended a product that looks sort of like a tube of chap stick to rub on the snaps.  After putting on a liberal dose of that stuff, the snaps go on and off much easier, and no more corrosion.  I think it was called Snap Lube or something like that.

Another product that a friend recommended is called Corrosion X.  They make a regular and heavy duty version.  I spray it on all exposed metal.  It is also a dielectric, so you can spray it on electrical stuff (battery, engine, etc.) with no problem.  Don't know if it would protect the chromed plastic stuff or not, but works great on metal.