Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Loose wire connection Hurricane GS170 - How to get to it

We have a 2003 Hurricane GS170.  I've been troubleshooting the wiring for a few days and decided to take  several snapshots inside the hull with my camera as I couldn't find any issues at the battery (fuses) or at the helm.

The good news is that I think I found the issue as it looks like a butt connector for the ground wire is missing a wire.  The bad news is that it's attached inside the hull/bilge area.  

I'm more of a wiring novice but it's a black wire and I'm assuming it's a ground wire of some sort because none of my panel lights/switches work.  My gauges and ignition work fine. My bilge is also dead (could be burned out) but I can't see where to disconnect those wires (I can twist the top off and remove the bilge pump unit)

I'm small enough in stature to probably climb in the hull through the battery compartment but it's on the other sign of the boat--so preferably not. I'm open to other ideas however and wonder how a marina would fix it.   Wish they would have put an access panel on that side of the boat. If there was a hole similar to the battery compartment hole on that side, it would probably be much easier.

Any ideas appreciated on the general wiring and the bilge wiring.  

Comments

• jeffk
    jeffk Member Posts: 1
    I am currently in the process of doing mine now, Cut any wire ties for additional access, the crimps are poor at best, I am rewiring form the helm forward due to this problem, Good Luck.
    Jeff 
  • demunn
    demunn Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2019
    As an update, I traced the power up to the 6 pin connector at the back of the boat. It was dead somewhere from the female part of the connector to the helm.  I ended up determining that I had already spent too much time on it and just fish taped a new hot and ground wire to the helm and tapped into where those wires go to the dash panel.  I still need to fix my bilge but it looks like amazon has a replacement for those.