Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

1999 201FD Volvo Intermittent Starting/Electrical issue

Options
Hey all.  I've got a 1999 201FD with a 5L Volvo Penta I/O.  Great boat, but struggling with an intermittent starting electrical issue.  I was out tubing with the kids one day and we turned the boat off to switch riders.  I went to restart the boat and got absolutely nothing.   Dash gauges were on, stereo was working, but nothing at the starter.  I noticed we had lots of slop in the starter switch.  I figured a wire might have come loose.  We got towed in and called it day. 

Following weekend, I focused my attention on the switch. I took it out, re-wired it, and tightened it securely.  Boat started right up and ran great.

Fast forward to today.  It had been close to a month since i had last used the boat (I was traveling for work).  I get up there today and the battery is dead.  I wasn't totally stunned by this...as the battery is from 2013.  I had a second deep cycle battery as well, so I used some jumper cables to jump from the deep cycle to the starting battery (which was dead).  Blower, trim work fine.  I turn the key and I get ticking at the starter.  I proceed to remove the old dead battery and hook the starter cables directly to the deep cycle battery and it starts right up.  I let it run for 20 min or so on the lift with no issue.  I then turn the boat off, and attempt to restart and get absolutely nothing....just like when we were tubing.

So my questions are:

1. Could the battery be the issue?  I realize deep cycle batteries aren't intended for starting, but it seems like if it did it once, it would do it a second time.  Regardless I will get a new starter battery, but I don't think this is my issue.

2. Could the starter be the issue?  My guess is no.  If it were the starter, I would assume it wouldn't have started after re-wiring the ignition switch or changing to the deep cycle battery?

3.  Could it be the ignition switch?  My guess is no.  I had a test light on board and confirmed that when the boat wasn't starting, I was still getting power through the switch.

4.  Could it be a fuse/relay?  If so where do I even look?  While this would be great...I doesn't explain the intermittent success I have.  

5.  Anything else?

I love the boat, but hate electrical issues.  I feel like it has to be something like a connection to explain the intermittent success.

Please help!!!

Thanks,
Chad