Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

How do I calculate the GVWR of my 2007 196 FD? - What is the right truck for me?

Makega
Makega Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
I have a 2007 196 FD with a 150 Yamaha outboard. I am retiring in Florida and need a tow vehicle to drive back and forth from Maine twice a year. I need help determining my boat weight and then what is the right truck for me.
Thanks,
Ken Gale
Watertown MA

Comments

• piney
    piney Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    Check the NADA Used Boat guide onlne.  There should be a spec area that may have your model's weight listed
  • piney
    piney Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    Re: the right vehicle-- -- A gentleman at work bought a truck to occasionally pull his rv.  He said all he considered was the towing capaciaty vs the trailer weight-- The trailer was less that the max capacity but still in the upper area.  Both the truck and trailer salesmen said...no problem...its within the specs.... He found that he had to add a load balancing hitch and rear air bags to raise it when towing.  Without these-he said it was very unstable.
    I tow my roughly 4500# boat/trailer with my f-150.  Its rated at 11k# with factory towing pkg.  Its not bad, bit I can tell its back there.
    I had an explorer that I towed 2 jet skis with all over the state-- It was rated at around 2500# and the two skis/trailer easily weigh 2200 dry.  Trashed the transmission after 4 years.

The moral of my comments are-- buy bigger.  Consider a towing package w/ transmission cooler.  
  • omar174
    omar174 Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    Any 1.5 ton truck with a tow package (transmission oil cooler) will do just fine. I would also suggest trailer brakes, 
    2003 GS211 Yamaha 150 HP OX66
  • RobertHan
    RobertHan Member Posts: 28
    A bass boat is lighter compared to other fishing boats. It has an average dry weight of about 1700 lbs. This average can vary with the size of the ship itself.

Trailers designed for bass boats can weigh from 500-1100, and this will give you an average of about 2400 lbs for the bass boat with the trailer. These numbers will vary as to the bass boat model, and from where it is manufactured. The size, length, and material used for your bass boat will also affect its weight.

Midsize SUVs can tow a bass boat and its trailer. If you have a small SUV, you don’t want to risk getting in an accident. A full-size truck can also tow your boat. A list of well-known SUVs with how much they can pull comfortably can guide you on your bass boat purchase.