Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Battery replacement protocol

I have a 2009 FDGS201. How oftern should you replace the battery as a proactive routine protocol?

Comments

• Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

I have a 2009 FDGS201. How oftern should you replace the battery as a proactive routine protocol?

Depends on the type/quality of battery, whether you have a 1 battery system or multiple batteries, etc.  Also depends on where you boat (isolated areas, large lakes, ocean)....need more dependability for certain situations.  I know guys that change their batteries every year, some say every 2 or 3 years, but that is all just guess work.
    Here is what i think is a better solution: I pull my battery at the end of the season and load test it.  You can buy inexpensive load testers that will tell you what kind of shape the battery is in, and it will save you money by knowing you are not getting rid of a battery that is still good.  This way you don't change the battery until you know it needs to be changed.
    There is still always the chance the battery could die mid-season, but that can also happen with a brand new battery.  I also carry Seatow coverage, so I'm not too concerned about being stranded.
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    Duplicate post unable to delete, sorry
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • e9045992710
    e9045992710 Member Posts: 16
    Much thanks for the good advice. See ya!
  • donmat
    donmat Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    You can also purchase a portable power pack to carry with you to jump start should your battery fail or you run down the battery while out. It can be used for other equipment as well.
  • e9045992710
    e9045992710 Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for the input. Will follow through.
    See ya!