Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Fish seat pedestal removal

houndog709
houndog709 Member Posts: 8
New owner here.  I put the brand new post for my single fishing chair in place, and put the seat on it.  I removed the seat just fine, and now can't get the post out of the mount.  Its a SS188, although that shouldn't matter.  I don't see a release clip, and there is no vertical give whatsoever on the post, although I can twist it about a quarter inch.  Any advice?  Thanks, houndog709

Comments

• PescaBene
    PescaBene Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
    edited August 2017

I don't think that all models have the same system. Mine is slotted and simply lifts out.

This is what mine looks like.  

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=80792

• houndog709
    houndog709 Member Posts: 8
    I also have the Springfield.  Should have mentioned that.  It should lift out, although mine won't.  Thanks for the comment. 
  • JohnC131
    JohnC131 Member Posts: 1
    My seat post wouldn't come out also, I contacted Hurricane and they weren't any help. Best advise was to unscrew the bracket which I think is BS.
  • TomG
    TomG Member Posts: 11
    I had the same problem on my two Springfield pedestal mounts. Seat came off fine but pedestal was frozen. I tried all kinds of anti-seize and no change. I drilled a 1/2" horizontal hole in the post then inserted a 12" long rod.  Then took boat to my office where we have a forklift and lifted them out but not without serious lifting torque. Apparently, the plastic insert you find when the post is removed, swell over time and makes the post fit much tighter than when new and no amount of lube helps. I contacted Springfield to see if a new insert could be purchased. The source and part # they gave me was for the complete base so apparently, that's the only cure. Also, I thought the post would be crusty and contributing to the increased friction but it was smooth and shiny as new. My telescoping ski pole has the same type of plastic and it is hard to move up & down as well. This is on a 2008 boat.
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    My best suggestion is to coat the groove of the base and edge of the post (inside and out) with a silicone based paste. The plastic is used to prevent the post from corroding to the metal, however, the plastic has a tendency to "adhere" to the base of the post, especially if it sits in the base for a long period of time.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer