Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Made to fit cover??

hurrig8r
hurrig8r Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
Anybody have any luck with ordering a cover for your Hurricane without having it custom made at a local shop? 

I have an SD187 and, after less than 2 years in the sun, the factory snap-on covers cause more of a headache than they're worth. They're brittle and I get covered in blue (covers are blue) dust every time I remove or install them. Boat is always covered in blue dust.

I was looking at a Carver cover, which I've had foot experience with in the past, but it makes no mention of the Bimini. If I have to remove the Bimini every time, I'll spend to have one made at a local shop.

Anyone have experience with the Carver covers and/or what else have you found out there? Looking for a full cover that comes down around the rub rail for full sun protection.

Comments

• BWH
    BWH Member Posts: 113 ✭✭✭
    I have the GS 194 which I think is similar style. I spent hours researching covers, ordered atleast 3 that did not fit. Finally settled on a pontoon cover. I use PVC piping padded on one end to hold the cover up and ensure drainage. In the back, I slide the pvc down over the table leg and the front, I use a cooler which has rod holders; pvc into a rod holder. PVC in rear is larger than in the front. Not the best scenario, but has proven very effective and provides full coverage down over rails which is my intent.      
  • TimKLL
    TimKLL Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
    Had the same problem when we got our SD2200.  Taking off the bimini to cover was not an option.  Found out that "Semi-custom" usually meant that it didn't include any provisions for the bimini.  Custom was many, many $$$$.  Got the semi-custom and my wife did some sewing (she is not a pro, and was pretty reluctant, but it worked out well).  Here's the previous link:  https://hurricaneboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/5655/#Comment_5655
    2015 Hurricane Sundeck 2200 DC OB, Yamaha F200
  • bshippjr
    bshippjr Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    To your question about removing bimini, I use the two piece snap-on cover in the summer, and a full cover during the winter that I bought on ebay a few years ago.  I lower the bimini (and turn the nav light down) and pull the full cover over it.  Not a big deal, just removing the three spring pins, but I understand it could be a hassle if you used the boat frequently.

2000 Hurricane SD 217 OB
  • cpufixer1
    cpufixer1 Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    TimKLL - Where did you buy the semi-custom cover that you altered ?                        
  • TimKLL
    TimKLL Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
    2015 Hurricane Sundeck 2200 DC OB, Yamaha F200
  • hurrig8r
    hurrig8r Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    Thanks guys. I did find that Carver and boatcoversdirect both offer one that accommodates the Bimini. Going to make it happen here shortly. Can't handle the blue smurf dust everywhere from the factory covers.
  • UltraGlide
    UltraGlide Member Posts: 11
    I ordered one from Sealskin and had about $50 bucks worth of cutting and Velcro work done to fit around Bimini top poles at my local upholstery shop. works like a dream. Great cover even for transporting.
  • RJLynn67
    RJLynn67 Member Posts: 1
    UltraGlide which boat do you have.? Can you post pictures? I tried the cover from Carver that was supposed to be for my 08 GS 202 Outboard and it was not even close. Currently frustrated and on my second tarp of the season...

I would also like one that would cover the majority of the decals down the side. just got most of the oxidation out of them!