Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Ethanol Fuel

OldVetman
OldVetman Member Posts: 2
My 2005 Sundeck GS202 has a 2006 150HP Honda motor. The Honda handbook says it is compatible with 10% ethanol  gasoline. After hearing/reading about the ill effects of ethanol on gas lines, seals, etc, I am concerned about what ethanol will do to the gas line feeding from the gas tank and anything else that the ethanol contacts. Has anyone had any experience with this situation?

Comments

• bigbuka1
    bigbuka1 Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    I don't know anything about Honda Engines....I just know that ethanol can wreck a small engine.  If at all possible run ethanol-free fuel through it...my $0.02
    2012 Hurricane SD2000
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Your engine, and by model year of boat all have support for up to 10% ethanol blend.  Different materials in the fuel lines, seals etc are used so they don't deteriorate like the older boats/engines would with an ethanol blend.

You can use a treatment like this if you're really concerned

http://www.starbrite.com/item/star-tron-gasoline-additive

Alternatively, for the cost of the additive, you can use premium fuel (which will NOT have any ethanol in it to be worried about) for about the price difference between regular blend plus additive or straight premium fuel.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • bshippjr
    bshippjr Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    Not sure about where you are located, but you might check the marinas where you are located.  The gas at the marinas on the lake where I am have no ethanol.
    2000 Hurricane SD 217 OB
  • OldVetman
    OldVetman Member Posts: 2
    nquirk's comment about my boat having the ability to run ethanol is supportive of an idea I had in that if the Honda was okay with ethanol then the boat to which it was attached should be amenable also.  I have found non-ethanol at $2.91/gal so I may just go with that. If not, in goes the STARTRON gas treatment. Thanks to all for your comments.