Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Solar battery charger

Has anyone ever tried charger the battery through the cigarette lighter with a solar cell charger? And if so which brand charger did you use? I want to keep a trickle charge on it when we are anchored using components off the battery with the engine off.

Comments

• piney
    piney Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    I havent tried it,but based on my boat,I would assume that one would have to 1)  leave the master power switch on  2) leave that ACCY port's switch on and 3,  leave the Battery switch on.  Otherwise the path from the lighter port would make it through to the battery(s).
  • FlyingV5
    FlyingV5 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    tjspilot, my suggestion is to connect the solar directly to the battery (alligator clips or charge controller) so you don't need to use the master power. Turning on the master power switch activates at least two relays to feed accessories. The current required to operate these relays may be greater than the 24hr. avg. output of the solar setup. You'll run out of juice.