Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

NO WAY--First day with the New Used Boat-- 2008 Hurricane GS FD 211

Great boat 119 hours on it.  The dealer did a lot to the motor as prevention.  Injectors cleaned, Replaced High Pressure Fuel Pump, Gas tank drained, new fuel water separator.
Today, the maiden voyage under my ownership.  Steam away out of the marina for 20 minutes into the harbor.  Hang out and fish a bit then start up and try to head back and it wont rev higher than 2800 rpms

The only thing I have done in the 24 hrs that I have owned this boat was put in about 34 gallons of Marine Gas.    

Why would it do this?  I called the dealer and he ran the list of possibilities.  Fuel contamination (Water, gunk), Injectors, Rails, Regulator.  There were no alarms---NOTHING.

Help me...this is unreal.  Day one!

Thanks for any advice
Chris 

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    We'll need a bit more info on your boat so members can better respond to you.

Outboard or I/O?

Brand of power and engine displacement/horsepower?

If an I/O, what drive do you have?
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• 89checkmate
    89checkmate Member Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
    Yeah what motor? 
  • slowpezz
    slowpezz Member Posts: 8
    2008 Yamaha 150 4 stroke 
  • omar174
    omar174 Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    Check to see if the primer ball on the fuel line is collapsing. If so, replace the fuel line/ball assembly. 

Also check to make sure the fuel line is attached correctly to the motor. 
    2003 GS211 Yamaha 150 HP OX66
  • M99
    M99 Member Posts: 68 ✭✭

I'd go with fuel contamination, possibly from gunk in the fuel tank that only broke lose after you started running the boat. Ask the dealer to look at the fuel filter carefully and see if it is contaminated, even though he only put it in a short time ago.  That can happen a lot if the boat sat for some time before you got it.

• slowpezz
    So here we are.  They changed out fuel water separator and the inline fuel filter on engine.  He says one cylinder still struggling for gas.  Next step is clean fuel rail.

Does all this sound like the right troubleshooting steps.   
  • M99

It sounds like the way I would be going. I'd also try to inspect the inside of the fuel tank for debris or corrosion, and also the fuel lines. A line can look good on the outside, but be deteriorating on the inside which causes debris to get into the filters or even into the fuel rail and injectors. If the boat was left siting for a long time by the previous owner, a lot of gunk can build up everywhere from evaporating fuel. It looks like varnish.

• slowpezz
    Well
    New filters,  rail cleaned, injectors cleaned.  Ran well again for 15 mins then same thing. This time rpms stayed up at 3000 but bogging.

Guessing its high pressure fuel tank filters now

Losing my appreciation for boating quickly 
  • slowpezz
    Any thoughts about cleaning gas tank prior to digging into HP fuel tank and screens?
  • omar174
    omar174 Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    Go buy a cheap 6 gallon fuel tank at Walmart. Run it on that for a while instead of the main tank. You'll have your answer. 
    2003 GS211 Yamaha 150 HP OX66
  • M99

I agree with Omar.  Its a cheap and easy way to diagnose it. I'm am assuming that your main tank is made of Fiberglass or some sort of Plastic.  In order to clean it properly will mean finding a chemical that you can fill it with and then pump it out, that will dissolve whatever is the contamination, and not destroy the tank.  My first guess would be the contamination is varnish from evaporating fuel. If that is the case, the good news is that new fuel will eventually dissolve that varnish for you, and then can be pumped back out (using a safe fuel pump). I have seen very similar problems on motorcycles that were allowed to sit for a long time. With those, the usual cure was to remove the tank and use a sealer to seal the inside of it. With a boat, I'm not sure it is even possible to remove the tank though. If the tank is aluminum, it could also be contaminated with aluminum oxide. That's a white powdery type stuff. If its a fiberglass tank that is deteriorating there isn't really anything you could do other than removing it, or somehow putting a liner in it.