Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Waterproofing Agent for Factory Covers

hurrig8r
hurrig8r Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
I have a 2014 SD187 with the factory covers. I bought the boat new in March of this year, but it was a leftover that had sat outside in the FL weather for almost a year.  I feel the covers are of marginal quality and notice they are starting to appear dry and chalky and sometimes when I remove them there is blue "dust" (the covers are blue) where the cover was contacting the boat. I'd like to try to get another year out of them, but they're going to need some sort of treatment to make it.

Anyone have experience with any sort of waterproofing agents that might help prolong the life???

Comments

• Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    I use 303 Fabric Guard.  My factory covers are going on their 6th year, and still look pretty good, but I think Hurricane uses different materials each model year.  I've had some tearing around a couple of the snaps that I've had to re-stitch, but that is the only problem.  I clean the covers, let them dry completely, then put on the 303 and let it dry completely.  This will keep them pretty waterproof for at least a year or more.

I also recommend the 303 Aerospace protectant for the vinyl seats.  
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    +1 on the 303 products.

I treated my covers in the middle of the season last year.  I was hoping that cleaning, washing, and treating them would reduce the blue powder residue.  Unfortunately I got that same blue dusty residue this year, but the covers are shedding water with the treatment.  I'm not sure of the material the cover is made of (I do know that it isn't Sunbrella), I'm pretty sure the residue is probably due to an oxidation effect.  I will say that I'll be going into my 5th season with the covers next year and they still seem to be holding up.

I might have made a mistake by not treating the fabric with 303 every year, as the covers looked like they were holding up very well in its 2nd year.  For newer boat owners I would probably recommend cleaning and treating every year.  It might reduce the powder residue effect.  When the time comes, I'll probably replace with Sunbrella material as I've had great experience with that product.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• 89checkmate
    89checkmate Member Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
    Yeah I had sunbrella covers on my last boat, 15 years old they still looked new. Don't know why everyone doesn't use that material.
  • hurrig8r
    Thanks for the info. I ordered a bottle of 303 last night. Hopefully that'll get me at least another year.

What do you all clean your covers with? I've only cleaned them one other time and used mild laundry detergent and a soft car washing brush.
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    I used some "Dawn" detergent and a soft scrub brush as well.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• hurrig8r
    Thanks for the help. Washed them today and used an entire bottle of 303. We'll see what happens......