Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Faria Digital Depth Sounded not working

Options
2013 Hurricane SS201 Digital Depth Sounder not working.. power on.. no depth registered. Any idea how to trouble shoot?

Answers

• coolwateree
    coolwateree Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Options
    I have replaced mine twice on a 2014 SD sport 202. Finally replaced with a garmin fishfinder. Not a big fan of the Faria depth sounder. They don't seem to last
  • TimKLL
    TimKLL Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'm having the same issue.  2015 SD 2200 DC OB.  Worked fine last year (1st year).  This year the 1st time out it wasn't working & then we motored around for a while and it came back on.  Today was 2nd time out and the same thing happened.

Guessing I'm going to have to do some wire tracing with a multi-meter.  I don't have a clue where the transducer hides.

One thing that I noticed - when it wasn't working the switch was not illuminated when it was in the on position.  When it started working again the switch was illuminated.  I'm going to start with making sure there is power going to the switch.  I have spares on the panel that I can swap out to check if the switch itself is bad.  I've read a little elsewhere in this forum about relays behind the panel going bad too, but as far as I can tell I don't have issues with other electrical stuff right now.  I'm not really good with the electrical stuff, but I get a little bit of an impression from some of the posts about them that the relays control more than one device on the panel.

jimlouisvilleky, please post if you find a solution, I'll do the same.
    Post edited by TimKLL on
    2015 Hurricane Sundeck 2200 DC OB, Yamaha F200
  • nomad
    nomad Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Options
    I have a 2013 SS188 and mine stopped working late last summer.   It appears that a blinking gauge means lost connection with the transducer.  So I am going to check the connection at the gauge and transducer.  I think most Hurricanes use an in-hull transducer that shoots through the hull.  I should be located in the bilge, in front of the bilge pump.  That is where mine is.  I think the transducer model is an Airmar P79.  Google search "Airmar P79 problems" to see if there are any suggested fixes for the transducer if your connections check out.  Many people talk about adding mineral oil or RV antifreeze to a reservoir in the transducer to fix their problem, but I am not quite there yet and haven't researched enough to determine if this is my problem.  I will report back if I fix it.  
    2013 SS 188 i/o 4.3 Mercruiser

• nomad
    nomad Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Options
    Finally getting  closer to solving the issue.  Called Faria and found out there was a recall on my depth sounder.   They sent me a new one, which I received about two weeks ago.  Also sent me a new speedometer to replace the original which had also stopped working.  I did not have to return the broken gauges before getting the new ones.  I haven't installed them yet but may do so today.  Pretty good customer service by Faria.  I imagine other owners with boats around the same vintage as mine may also have the faulty depth sounders so it may be worth a call to Faria.  
    2013 SS 188 i/o 4.3 Mercruiser