Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Correct prop pitch for my Hurricane

CaptMikeG
CaptMikeG Member Posts: 3

Can anyone share what prop they are running on a 2007 FD194?  I have a Yamaha F115.  The boat struggles to get on plane and requires one of the two people onboard to go forward.  I have a 3 blade SS prop on it now.  This motor combo obviously is on the lower end of what you could run the boat with but I think it would be fine with the right prop. 

Help!

Best Answer

Answers

• skibum
    skibum Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    What manufacturer and model of propeller are you currently using? Wide open rpm with current prop will help us out a bunch.
  • CaptMikeG
    Its original equipment Yamaha SS and is a 19 pitch.  I get 6000 rpms wot at about 35 mph.  When I accelerate to get on plane, it revs to 4000 and stays there until I get on top, takes 45 seconds or so with someone sitting way forward. 
  • CaptMikeG
    Would a 4 blade prop help with the slip?  I could go down in pitch too.
  • rdcastle
    rdcastle Member Posts: 100 ✭✭✭
    My 2001 V-6 150 2-stroke Yammy does 5000 WOT at 43 mph, 3 blade stainless OEM but I dont know the specs on the prop.
    Rob Castle
    2001 Hurricane GS201 FD
    Yamaha 150 V6 2 Stroke, Oil Injection
  • FlyingV5
    FlyingV5 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    Ahoy, CaptMikeG. Your boat should be similar to my 2012 FD196 w/115 Yamaha, but every boat will require testing. There are numerous posts in this forum about the exact thing you want to know. Try searching "propeller data" (note sp.) and you will find the details of my prop selection process. I highly recommend Ace Propeller for price and service and I am very happy with the 4blade PowerTech prop they sold me. You might start with the one I ended up with, and if you don't like it you can pay shipping (about$40 at that time) and swap it for another. The target is to hit max rated rpm at wot with a light boat. You will want a 4 blade for low end, hole shot, getting on plane, etc. I think 4 blades are more suited to the low end torque characteristics of 4 stroke engines, whereas 2 strokes are all about high rpm. Good luck and keep us posted on the results.