Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Fuel tank venting

RCKS
RCKS Member Posts: 2
I just purchased a FD226 with a Yamaha 200. It starts fine but the bulb collapses and motor can't pull fuel. Does fine at idol or low speed but chokes out above that. Dealer not helping much. I tried to pull the pull tube out of the tank to check for debris or something obvious. Brutal to get to and the tube won't come all the way out so I tapped many times trying to make something successful happen. Guess it sounds like the venting isn't working but have no idea what to do to check or correct it.

Answers

• caseynettles
    caseynettles Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
    clogged spin on fuel filter maybe?
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Agree with casey.

Although I don't have experience with Yamaha outboards (motorcycles, yes!), if I'm not mistaken, besides the fuel filter/water separator on board the boat, there are fuel filters in other areas of the motor like by the vapor separation tank (vst); some filters may require special tools to remove as well.  Unless you're getting your engine serviced by a Yamaha technician, you may not be getting all your filters serviced.  If your dealer is a Yamaha dealer why is he not being helpful (sorry, I have to ask, as things like this befuddle me)?
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• RCKS
    RCKS Member Posts: 2
    Well, I was advised that the problem, since this was a new boat, probably was not a venting issue but more an obstruction. So, the mechanic had me start at the bulb and work my way back. Fortunately, found it immediately. The line from the seperator to the bulb had a partial clog and had also pushed trash to the bulb. After cleaning, everything works perfect. Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Appreciate the update, RCKS!  Glad it wasn't a major problem.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• M99
    M99 Member Posts: 68 ✭✭

Just curious, but if it was a new boat and motor, why did the dealer have YOU do that work?  It sounds like the correct way to diagnose the problem, but isn't it all under warranty? As an aside, it couldn't have been venting if it happened right away when you tried to run at power. With half or 3/4 fuel tank, if it was a venting problem, it would still take a few minutes at high power before you'd run out of air in the tank and cause that to show up.