Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

How would I aquire new morring covers for my 2002 SD 217 I/O?

Options
grsfldflyer
grsfldflyer Member Posts: 1
I am looking for replacement mooring covers (front an rear) for my 2002 SD217 I/O.

Answers

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Welcome to the Owners Forum grsfldflyer!

In my opinion and experience, after your original mooring cover finally gives up the ghost, it's best to go to a local marine upholsterer, especially since store bought generic covers never give the fit nor longevity of a custom made cover.  Trailer or storage covers might be OK for some people when it comes to generic covers, but when it comes to a mooring cover, you want it to fit right and use the original snap locations. They offer a variety of fabrics to help fit your budget.  I personally have had great experience with Sunbrella brand fabric.  Yes, they are more money, and yes, you'll be happy you spent it.  Ask your local dealer or marina for some recommendations.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• bshippjr
    bshippjr Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I second cjjjdeck's response for snap on cover.  I will ask does the cover have holes, or are you getting water penetration.  If just water penetration then you should try washing the cover and then using 303 Fabric Guard.  It is recommended by the mfg of Sunbrella.

I have the advantage of my boat staying on a lift in a covered slip at a marina.  I use the original snap on covers (with a couple of patches by the previous owner) during the season and put a full semi-custom cover on during the winter.  Every couple of seasons I will wash the covers and apply the 303 Fabric Guard.
    2000 Hurricane SD 217 OB
  • HydroCanis
    HydroCanis Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    Options
    bshippjr, my mooring covers are looking pretty nasty after this past winter and pollen season. How do you go about washing them?
    David
    2003 Sundeck 217 OB, Yamaha 150 2 Stroke
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own." - Number 6

• hurrig8r
    hurrig8r Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    Options
    I'd lay them out on a hard surface and wash them with mild soap and a soft brush (like some folks use to wash their boat or car).
  • Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I soak mine in a large utility sink overnight in laundry detergent. Then I take them outside on my deck or carport (whichever is clean) and lay them flat like hurrig8r said, and scrub the tough stains with a brush. Flip them over and do the other side. I'll hit the really stubborn areas with my pressure washer, using the lowest pressure tip. I hang them on a clothes line and rinse with my pressure washer using low pressure and then let dry. About every 2 years I put on a good coating of 303 Aerospace Fabricguard while they are hanging dry. My covers are 5 years old and still look new. I have had to repair a couple of small tears around one or two of the snaps, but otherwise they are holding up well. The fabric cover that came with my boat is not Sumbrella, but something called Outdura.
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • HydroCanis
    Options
    Thanks. Guess I'll have to clean a spot somewhere to lay them on. Maybe a cheap baby pool would be a good washing basin.
    David
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own." - Number 6

• bshippjr
    Options
    I have been on vacation and have not checked site, but for my two piece snap on cover I wash one piece at a time in our home washing machine (new style that does not have an agitator) with mild detergent, then air dry.  For my full cover, I will take to a public laundry and use the large industrial front loading machine with mild detergent, then air dry.  Then apply the 303 Fabric Guard.
    The snap on covers are the original covers (does have one patch applied by prior owner) and I am fortunate that my boat is on a covered lift with minimal sun and rain exposure.
    2000 Hurricane SD 217 OB
  • HydroCanis
    Options
    Cool. Maybe I'll try it in my front-loader. I'm sure the bow cover will work, but the rear piece is a lot bigger. The machine will run a very high spin, so I'm thinking of just putting them back on wet to dry in place and then removing and using the fabric guard after dry. Or is that supposed to be applied when wet?
    David

• bshippjr
    Options
    303 Fabric Guard should be applied when the cover is clean and dry.  If you cannot adjust your washer spin to a lower speed, see what spin speed is on the permanent press wash cycle (which is what I use).
    2000 Hurricane SD 217 OB