Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Trailering with factory covers?

Options
hurrig8r
hurrig8r Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
Does anyone trailer their Hurricane with the factory snap-down covers on it? They look like they'd be secure on a short trip (<5 miles @ < 45 mph), but I wasn't sure and don't want to tear them up.

Comments

• 89checkmate
    89checkmate Member Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't trailer with mine, just doesn't seem good for it, a couple snaps coming loose can scratch up the boat in a hurry.
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The factory covers are a "mooring" cover and designed to protect the boat when it's at rest.  They will unsnap at highway speeds.  A trailer cover will have tie down loops sewn into the edge of the cover which allow you to use straps to secure the cover to the trailer or wrap it under the boat.  On my previous boat I had a custom cover made that had both snaps and tie down loops sewn in so it could do double duty as a mooring and a trailer cover.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• hurrig8r
    Options
    Thanks guys. I towed it with the covers on today just to the storage facility, in heavy traffic. Probably never broke 40mph. Looked in the rear view a few times and it wasn't moving or blowing.

I won't be making a habit of it though. Thanks for the input.
  • HydroCanis
    HydroCanis Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    Options
    I do the same—sometimes leave the mooring covers on for a few miles never over 45mph. My snaps were horribly tough to get loose and it probably would've never come off on the highway until someone suggested Chapstik, which is a great solution to keeping the snaps easy to remove. Hurrig8r, please share info if you go for a towable cover of some kind.
    David
    2003 Sundeck 217 OB, Yamaha 150 2 Stroke
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own." - Number 6

• hurrig8r
    Options
    Will do.  I'm going to see how the factory covers hold up.  I don't expect them to last long in the Florida sun.  I'm considering a Carver semi-custom fit cover at the moment.  They have them to fit most of the Hurricanes. You can trailer with them (with the appropriate tiedowns, of course).