Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Outboard engine size for a 2006 237 Sundeck?

axlf16
axlf16 Member Posts: 2
I'm looking at purchasing this boat very soon.  It's equipped with a Suzuki 175HP OB with about 150 hours.  Is this enough power for the 237?  I'm going to use it mostly for local cruising, and some 'light' skiing and tubing.  I live on the ICW in Wilmington, NC and would like to keep the boat in the water as much as possible (couple of weeks between cleanings).

Also, the boat has been kept in dry storage when not in use, and appears well taken care of.  I'm planning to have the boat surveyed...is this a good idea under all circumstances?

I'm having trouble finding good comps for this boat to see if the price is fair.  Any pointers?  Asking price is ~$19K with trailer.

Thanks in advance.  This is my first post...and I hope to have many more as a Hurricane owner in the near future :smile:

Best Answer

Answers

• axlf16
    axlf16 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks maxbird!
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    The SD237 is a heavy boat, and I absolutely love mine.  I have the I/O version of this model and it is rated for up to 320 HP.  I have a 260HP motor.  It does around 45-48 mph.  It also pulls water toys easily (the dual prop drive helps a lot with that as well).  I certainly wouldn't want less HP that I currently have.  I would agree with maxbird, Suzuki is a great motor, but I think it would be under-powered for this boat.  Especially if you're pulling toys.  If I recall correctly, 200 HP was about the starting HP for this model in OB and 220HP was the starting HP for the I/O.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer