Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

best boat wax?

Options

We have a 2014 ss188, when should we wax it for the first time and what is the best (affordable) wax to use?

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you're trying to prevent the hull from staining over time, I'll share what I've learned about waxing a boat from the boat dealers and marinas in my area.  If you moor you boat in a slip for the season or keep it in the water extended periods enough to cause the staining effect, don't wax the boat below the water line.  I always thought waxing your boat below the waterline will prevent the water staining that occurs on the hull.  Most water stains are actually algae growth.  That growth usually sits on top of the gelcoat and is easily removed by using a cleaning process.  In the Northeast, most use a muriatic acid solution and a power washer.  When they clean the hull it comes looking brand new, no residual stain.  If you wax the hull, the wax actually creates a path for the algae to get under the gelcoat.  This condition causes residual staining that can be very difficult or impossible to be removed.

Trailering your boat from home to the body of water and back has little or no staining effect so waxing the bottom isn't as much of an issue.  Aluminum boats are exempt from this as well.  Check with the boat dealers and marinas in your area to see how they clean boats and what they recommend.

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer