Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

2002 FD196 with electrical issues

The deck boat I recently purchased has some electrical problems.  At first glance I can tell the wiring isn't factory.  Most, if not all of the connections behind the breakers and switches only have cheap standard connectors.  So basically the tachometer, speedometer and trim aren't working while the voltmeter and fuel gauges work without issues.  The bait well pump doesn't work and it is the only one that has a breaker that's popped out.  There is power to the "acc" switch.  And from what I can see the wires from the speedometer goes to either the "int light" or "nav light" switch. 

I was thinking of running a power and ground wire from the battery into the console and connecting them to a fuse block/bus bar.  And from there, wiring each switch and gauge separately.  But i'm not sure if it's necessary, i'm sure the breaker panel is a good idea, it just looks so mangled with the bird nest of wires.  Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

2002 FD196F/Yamaha 115

Comments

• jt3kids
    jt3kids Member Posts: 15 ✭✭

I had that on my old boat.  decided to start new, install a wiring terminal block and redo everything.  not sure if it is necessary with yours.  they have wiring manuals on how everything should be.  maybe get the correct wiring diagram and a roll of wire and insulated connectors and try and get it correct?
  • powerhouse
    powerhouse Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    So today I started trying to clean up some of the wiring and terminals, that's not going to work.  I want to remove all the wires that were poorly rigged up, but concerned that I may mistakenly mess up the factory wiring in the process.  I have the wiring diagram but it's hard to read due to blurriness. 

My plan is to move the battery and battery switch, to the console along with adding a second battery.  I have 18' of 2g wire that I'd like to route from the engine up to the console where the batteries/batt. switch will be.  From the switch I will run 10g to a breaker, then 10g to the fuse block and from there 14g to the switches and then the appropriate wire size to each component.  I also will run 10g from the battery's negative to a buss bar.

Any help on identifying engine wires in the console would be really, really appreciated.  By the way, the engine is a Yamaha F115.  Thanks.
    2002 FD196F/Yamaha 115
  • powerhouse
    Spent today removing a lot of damaged wires along with a lot of wires that were either not connected to anything or improperly connected.  Then I ran 2 gauge wiring from the console back to where the battery/battery switch originally was.  I also installed a Blue Seas 12 circuit fuse block, bus bar and circuit breaker inside the console.
    2002 FD196F/Yamaha 115
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Just curious, did you get the wiring diagrams from Hurricane, as I don't remember you asking for them in the forum (but I could be wrong!)?
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• powerhouse
    Yes sir, emailed Terri(if I remember correctly).  I asked for it in another thread and was given an email address from Capt. Steve I think.
    2002 FD196F/Yamaha 115
  • powerhouse
    Update.  I was able to complete the wiring project a while back.  Still having an issue getting the trim gauge and RPM gauge to work.  I suspect the trim gauge issue is actually the trim sensor.  As for the RPM gauge, i'm not sure.  I have good power and ground to it, so i'm thinking it's the sender wire but I can't seem to find out where that wire connects on my Yamaha F115.
    2002 FD196F/Yamaha 115