Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Does all Hurricanes have an automatic bilge pump

I just bought a used 2003 Hurricane 211 center console in good condition.   My question is does all Hurricanes have a auto bilge pump or just certain models?  I have the bilge switch on instrument panel.   I'm new to boating and just want to know how this boat works before I stick her in the water.

Thanks,

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    @RuddsRetreat.  Most boats have a 3 wire bilge pump or a bilge pump with an automatic float switch.  I suspect being a 2003 model it will also have one.

However, when it comes to boats, I never leave things to chance.

When you turn the switch on manually, does the pump run?  Even if its not pumping water out you should hear it running.

Next, test it.  Fill the bilge area with several buckets of water.  You'll need to add enough to cover the bottom of the bilge pump (usually less than an inch of water or so).  Keep adding water until you hear the pump kick in and pump out the water.

If you get more than a few inches in there and don't have a running pump, that tells me one of 3 things:

- your bilge pump doesn't have a float switch
    - your float switch is there but defective
    - your direct power source to the pump isn't working.(faulty wire and/or fuse)

Back to the 3 wire pump comment above.  What I mean by that is it has a common ground, a switched power (runs to the switch on the helm) and a 3rd wire which connects direct to the battery to turn power on/off via the float switch.

Let us know how it turns out.  And also, as good practice, the first time I put my boat in the water for the season I use the water test to validate my float switch and auto bilge pump works.  Always better to find out BEFORE you need it.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • RuddsRetreat
    RuddsRetreat Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    Thanks Nquirk,  I will try to test today.  I am new to boating and just would like to know as much as possible about boat before I put her in the water. I notice a set of wires looking to be hooked to my batteries but just laying beside them not connected to anything, Any idea  what they would be???  I may just tape the ends to make sure nothing shorts.  I have dual batteries with switch to use either battery or both.   Last goofy question,  where is the bilge pump located
  • BWH
    BWH Member Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

Rudds, if you get a chance, post a  picture of your boat.  I think the center console Hurricane is really neat, but rarely see one.  Not sure if they only produced a small number or if it is just the part of the country I live in.    

Bilge pump will be in lowest point of boat in the back normally just in front of yor plug.    

• RuddsRetreat

Checked bilge with water test, unfortunately got nothing.   Taking to mechanic and having him check it out, hoping its minor.  I will post a picture when I get it her back.

Thanks,

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    RuddsRetreat.  To access your bilge pump, the bilge area will vary.  On an outboard, it will be accessed via access ports (covered holes) in front of the engine.  In an inboard with an outdrive configuration, it will be accessed through the engine cover.

The extra wires could be anything (from a trolling motor, GPS, fishfinder, etc)  You'd have to trace them back to determine exactly what they do.

Let us know what the results of the bilge pump were and hopefully you get this resolved and on the water sooner than later.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • RuddsRetreat

Found out that the extra wire harness is for trolling motor. Since there is no trolling motor apparently is better to keep it disconnected from battery.  waiting to hear back for bilge, my mechanic is swampt, hoping he can get to it today or tomorrow.

• RuddsRetreat
    HERE ARE A COUPLE OF OUTSIDE PICS.  I NEED TO GET A GOOD INSIDE.
  • BWH
    BWH Member Posts: 113 ✭✭✭
    RR, Nice boat!.  I really like the CC, but just do not see them around. I live in an area where there is plenty of access to both salt and fresh water so no idea why I do not see more of them.